The Planted Tank Forum banner

Malaysian Driftwood (acidic ?)

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  TeeItUp 
#1 ·
My LFS has some really nice dark Malaysian driftwood and at great prices. He say though that it is slightly acidic and to check my tap water before adding it to my tank. My water out of the tap is 7.2-7.4 so would think I would be OK using this wood?

The wood does not have any bases to they and I have lots of acrylic. Is stainless steel wood screws OK to secure the two together? That is what was used on the slate bottom driftwood.

#2 ·
It will leech some tannins into your water thus lower your Ph. If you want you can boil the wood (if you have a pot large enough) for a while and soak it outside you tank to speed the process up.

You shouldn't need a screw and acrylic to put it in the tank. I recon it should sink on it's own. All Malaysian woods I have ever had have sunk on their own.

#4 ·
Vinlo said:
You shouldn't need a screw and acrylic to put it in the tank. I recon it should sink on it's own. All Malaysian woods I have ever had have sunk on their own.
The reason I was going to put a plastic plate is the angle would be wrong. Right now it is almost a straight up and down piece but looks much nicer tilted. Without a plate it would just fall down horizontal then. I can sand the base flat to the desired angle then screw it (if that is OK to do) then it will look like it is coming out of the bottom of the tank at that angle.

#6 ·
I use that kind of wood in my discus tank...they release the blackish tanning that adjust the water to the discus tank condition...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.