The Planted Tank Forum banner

too much CO2 and airpumps...

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  scoach1999 
#1 ·
I'm confused about something.. let me fill you in on the situation.

I have a 10gal tank that I was going to turn into a home for my poor crowded clown loaches. I setup the tank with a 2L CO2 system, put in the plants and watched things for a little while. I immediately saw a lot of activity from the plants, with O2 bubbles coming from every one of them, but also noticed that my CO2 was too high. My pH was around 6.8 with 7 dKh (my normal tap water level!), which puts me at the top end of healthy for the fish. Still, it wasnt overboard, so I went ahead and moved in the clowns, 2 ottos, and a swordtail as a dither fish.

Everyone seemed fine, until one day I noticed that the swordtail had crossed over. I checked the levels, and my pH was around 6.6, putting my CO2 at around 53ppm!!! No wonder he croaked. For some reason, the clowns and ottos were fine, if a bit stressed, but not wanting to take any chances, I threw in an airstone on an airpump.

I've left the airpump in there for a few days now, along with the CO2, since I figured it was better to be adding it than not, and my pH is steady at 7, and the dKh is still at 7. If I'm to believe the charts, that means that I've got around 20ppm CO2 still in there, even with the airpump! Is this right? I havent seen much O2 coming from the plants, although there is a bit. Is the airpump messing up my readings from the chart, or am I just putting out such an obscene about of CO2 that it's somehow keeping up with the airpump? I did try out a stronger CO2 recipe this time, with 2cups sugar, 1 tsp yeast and 1/2 tsp of baking soda.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd guess that with 2L on a 10 gallon, with a teaspoon of yeast you are putting in a lot of CO2.

It may burn up faster than the earlier mix. You just have to play with it, vary the yeast and also the sugar and baking soda to see what makes it go longer.

#3 ·
Thats alot of yeast and sugar for a ten gallon. Definately decrease it to later mixes - a good amount should be about 1/4 teaspoon yeast and less then 1 cup sugar. You shouldn't need baking soda since it can kill the yeast.

The O2 doesn't mess up the CO2 readings. You are just releasing some CO2.

#5 ·
lucky you man....kh of 7 is really great in growing riccia..they will pearl like heaven... unlike mine, kh of 0 out of the tap...hehe...

#6 ·
Hi Clownbard (interesting moniker).

If you lost fish to CO2 poisoning/O2 deprivation -- but not others, it may be because some fish are more sensitive in their O2 requirements than others. Certain species, like Gouramis for instance, have very stagnant H2) in their natural environment. They have a "labarynth" in their heads that allows them to take O2 at the water's surface and trap a bubble inside their heads for underwater consumption!

This might be why some fish "crossed over" while others were just thinking about crossing over.

Just a thought.

Earnest Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.