The Planted Tank Forum banner

post your local tank(s)

60K views 752 replies 52 participants last post by  longgonedaddy 
#1 ·
ok, i know a lot of people are like me, too lazy for a journal...lol so i figured i would start a post where you can post a pic of your tank(s) without having to add specs and such. let's just call this a PA photo gallery. here are mine :

my 55. took this a few days ago, and it is different already..lol

my 20L grow tank. (almost empty after today)

my emersed bin

8gal Ebi... blue pearls and malawa shrimp

my 125
FTS

left side

right side

silly mts thinks it's a plumb bob....lol

that's all for now. enjoy folks, and post your tanks!!:bounce:

See less See more
#458 ·
Thanks Bill. I've had no problems with the wood floating at all, but if you've seen the white fuzz before and it's nothing bad then that's comforting. I was surprised to see that the wood didn't leach too many tannins into the water today. It was only a light tea color after 24 hours of sitting outside. I guess the boiling really helped get the majority out.

I'm going to drain and fill 2 more times before I stick them in my tank though....just to be safe.

#460 · (Edited)
Semi Self-sustaining Tanks

Thought I could get some pics posted of my terraphyte tanks. Seems like I posted before, but these are updated shots. I use land plants with roots emersed in the tank. Specifically, Chinese Evergreen, Philodendron and Pothos to maintain stable water conditions for the fish and aquatic plants. Small, weekly water changes to maintain the mechanical backup HOB filtration. Standard low to moderate lighting for all the plants is

The plants take in the nitrogens produced by the fish, so the water stays pure. I just replace the water lost to evaporation and add some liquid trace nutrients weekly.

B

#462 ·
Thought I could get some pics posted of my terraphyte tanks. Seems like I posted before, but these are updated shots. I use land plants with roots emersed in the tank. Specifically, Chinese Evergreen, Philodendron and Pothos to maintain stable water conditions for the fish and aquatic plants. Small, weekly water changes to maintain the mechanical backup HOB filtration. Standard low to moderate lighting for all the plants is

The plants take in the nitrogens produced by the fish, so the water stays pure. I just replace the water lost to evaporation and add some liquid trace nutrients weekly.

B
btw....you have any buckets to spare? lol

#463 ·
FML...my black moscows have internal parasites. Now the decision to either buy food/medicine and try to treat or deem it a lost cause and eliminate all known infected fish and hope the rest fair well. It seems like it only affects the females...or I just cant tell the males have them because they are much slimmer and hard to see the anus. Guess I'll look online to see my options for treatment. I'm hoping it only affects the guppies and not all my plecos too....they're all in the same tank.

#464 ·
I just cant tell the males have them because they are much slimmer and hard to see the anus
ok, now admittedly, i am no expert on internal parasites, however, that being said, there is so much wrong in this statement that i don't know where to begin...lol
Guess I'll look online to see my options for treatment.
i think your first option is to stop checking out fishes anus'!LOL

#483 ·
Can someone recommend what I should be dosing fert wise for my 29gal? Right now all I do is flourish, root tabs, and throw in some seachem iron once in a while but it still looks crappy. I've got an aquaticlife t5hox2 fixture 4in above the tank. No co2, but maybe I have to go there :/

#484 ·
ok, i am no guru, but i do see one problem. the ferts you are feeding the plants are fine, however, you are missing one big ingredient, carbon. either start dosing excel, or add co2. the plants need the extra co2. i would suggest a paintball co2 set up. no need for a 20lb tank. dan (thinktank) got a pretty good deal on a pb setup, maybe he can chime in and tell ya where he got it from.
my other suggestion, if you choose to go with co2, is dose dry ferts. while flourish and iron are ok, the plants also need phosphorous, nitrogen and potassium. for $30 or so, you can get dry ferts and cover all the bases with just 3 items. and in a 29g tank, the dry ferts should last you quite some time. especially since you'll only be dosing like 1/8 tsp at a time.

#486 ·
yeah, pb will be cheaper in the long run. just like any other co2 setup, the cost is at the front end, but it pays for itself over the course of time. i have a spare pb set up, but i promised my wife to put it on her tank, only because i don't feel like running the tubing upstairs to her tank from my co2 system in the basement. lazy? maybe, but avoiding unnecessary work? smart :)

and wow! that walichii is um....long and stringy!!LOL

#488 ·
The tank doesn't look bad to me. Algae isn't noticeable. Everything looks green and healthy. Just needs to fill in. Cut those long stems and replant the tops. The walichii is outta control -lol

I can't recommend a CO2 setup - the regulator on the one I got broke :( No CO2 for a couple weeks now. Nothing seems to be suffering...yet

#498 ·
ok, so after a few months of procrastination (my favorite expression is "can't rush into these things") i finally got around to re-scaping the bed bully's tank. i didn't even bother taking a before pic because the she-devil herself let the poor tank go. instead i have the after pics. now, after all the work i did on this tank, she does NOT like it. she is not as appreciative of the manzanita as the rest of the free world. you guys tell me what you think:
most of the plants in, awaiting water:

water in, i still have a few plants to add as soon as i can get them propagated in my 75:

water should clear up in a day or so and i'll take more pics then. what do you guys think? it has a lot of growing in to do.

#499 · (Edited)
Here are some shots of my Hitech tank before I got fed up with the work and tore it down.

60 Gallon 4' Tank
4x54 watt T5HO light: 2X6700K bulbs, 1X10000K bulb, and 1XRosette Bulb: 11 Hours a Day
Rena XP2 and Rena XP3
RO Water Mixed with Tap: pH: 7.2: 50% weekly water change
82 Degrees F
Eco-Complete & Flourite Black

I'm in the process of setting up a 150 SA type low-med light tank with swords/crypts/anubius/ferns/and Hygro stems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.