The Planted Tank Forum banner

Gareths 90 Gallon Tank Journal (Setup March 13, 2004) > 5

13K views 86 replies 26 participants last post by  mad about fish 
#1 ·
Ok... What a freakin week it has been!. I got the 135 gallon setup, on a stand I just built and stained... I emptied the 90 gallon tank and transfered all the fish into the 135...I rebuilt the 90 gallon and started to re-arrange my living room (I have to replace the carpet following the massive leak in the 135).

So here is the view of my fish room when you first walk in. There will be more tanks in here shortly... but this is how its progressing.

Looking right you can see some of the plants I am starting to fill this room with. There is enough ambient light fromteh fish tanks that I can grow almost anything in this room. The plants also help keep the humidity down, I rarely have to water them.

Here is the 90 Gallon tank. This tank is 3 feet wide, 2 feet tall, and 2 feet deep. It is currently lit with 7, 3 foot NO T8's (5000k 98CRI bulbs). Filtration is just a simple Aquaclear 300. I may supplement this with another 300 later, but for the time being this tank will only house a pair of Kribs untill the fire eel moves in.

See less See more
#53 ·
hm? why the tire track is orange in colour in the first pic and yellow in this one?

#55 ·
I think I have eel envy. :)

#56 ·
Now I want an eel for my tank. Can they handle community tanks?

#57 ·
Spiny eels have a very specific dietary requirement. Frozen and live foods only. THey arent cheap to feed. On top of that you need to have teh space to house them... The Fire eels can reach up to 39" at full size.. the Tire Track Eel should top out at a maximum of 30".

I don't think that these would be good community fish as they are easily pestered... I don't have any idea of what their temperment will be at a larger size either...

#59 ·
do they get along with each other in there?

#62 ·
walla~ maybe you got a pair in there.

#65 ·
does he/she bite you when eating?

#68 ·
Vinlo said:
Man from the other photos I thought that eel was a lot bigger than that.

It sure is nice though. Great colour. Keep the photos coming.
Agreed, I thought the same thing. That feeding photo really gives a great idea about the size of the fire eel. I'm not real familiar with fire eels, but I know a bunch of other divers that have been bitten by eels that they used to feed daily on the reefs. When I was going all over the carribean diving it didn't seem like it mattered where I went there was always a diver with bandaged fingers. Everytime I would ask them what happened, same story.. "We've been feeding a few eels on this one reef to keep them there so we can show our divers. We've been feeding them for months with no problem and then one day they just snapped out and bite us." Most of these were morays though I believe, but I would definately be careful with my fingers there gareth, would stink having to aquascape with bandaged fingers.. :)

Matt

#71 ·
corigan said:
I would definately be careful with my fingers there gareth, would stink having to aquascape with bandaged fingers.. :)
These guys aren't "true" eels like the morrays. If I had a Morray (fresh or salt) I wouldnt even think of hand feeding them. They have sharp little teeth that can seriously injure you :) These guys are pretty mellow :)

#73 ·
Nice wood arranging...it looked like an ancient dragon cave.

#75 ·
that tank is amazing. i love the look of the sand as substrate.
have they eaten the krib fry?
how are the potted plants in the room doing? :)

#76 ·
How is your substrate layered beneath the sand? Do you have to stir the sand every now and then for aeration? Just wondering because I'm considering a sand bottom but want it heavily planted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.