The Planted Tank Forum banner

Stuck between a rock and a hard place...:)

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  johnnyneedlez11 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I am brand spankin new to the forums and basically starting this hobby again after many years. I am looking to go with a nice iwagumi setup in my 36 Gal bow and I am having one heck of a time figuring out just how I should lay down the hard scape. I thought it would be a lot easier than it is. I just kinda threw some rocks in there that I got locally to start getting an idea of what I want. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I am more than certain that I need more rocks to choose from but this is all I have for now.

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
At least group the 3 littlest closer to each other, and then closer to the mid-sized rock. So there is a triangle: Big rock farthest back. mid-sized closer to center, small (group) about halfway between the largest and mid-size, but closer to the front of the tank.

The way you have it makes a hill way over to one side, which works, but you could also move the rocks around according to the golden mean. Google that, but do not take it too seriously- basically it means putting the major focal point near the center, but not right in the middle. About 2/5 of the way.

#8 ·
Looking good.... I can tell this is going to come out nicely based on how you are giving it the time/attention it needs. I like to go this way too. I've set some tanks up in 2 hrs and some in 2 mo.. if you don't rush it you wind up with good results everytime. If it looks right on the 1st drop leave it. If it doesn't then play w/ it. When your brain hurts do something else and come back to it
Those are some nice rocks. Did you find them just that way... Or break a big one?
Are you gonna do a background? I always feel hg looks best with a solid backing... Like black brown or d. Blue spray paint. Being you can see through it.

#10 ·
I actually fond these rocks in a few places. A few in a dry creek bed and I got 2 more at the edge of the river by my house. For the small ones though I did end up breaking a rock. I cleaned the crap out of them, boiled them for a while and did the vinegar test they should be good to go. The background that I want is straight black. I think it really makes all of the colors pop when its all done and grown in. The Indian red sword is a good suggestion. I have been playing around with paint on my computer to kind of get an idea.

#9 ·
Were you looking to stay all green? I have an Indian red sword in with some dhg. I like the way they fit together in contrast. The IRS seems to always stay vertical and not widen up like some larger swords. It gets about a half inch longer than the dhg at full grown.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.