LFS in/around Tampa? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Florida

Old 07-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #16
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (173/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbootleg View Post
Check out Westside Aquariums... I'm there AT LEAST 2/weekly. I've been going to Paul (owner) since I was 13 (21 now)... Hes SUPER knowledgeable and if he doesn't have it then he can get it.... Let em' know Nico sent you....

3402 S Dale Mabry Hwy Tampa, FL 33629
(813) 839-4751
I had a chance to stop by this store today and I was impressed by the owner's knowledge. I just mentioned lights and right away he mentioned Kelvin temps for plant growth and had quite a bit of info regarding LED fixtures. We talked about several different fish and how hardy or picky they can be and different kinds of food to feed them. Prices on lights, pumps, etc are lower than most retailers too. The downside is that he doesn't keep much in stock and has to get the equipment from the warehouse which takes a couple days. But if you don't mind waiting, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better deal locally.
cah925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #17
shiloh
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cah925 View Post
I had a chance to stop by this store today and I was impressed by the owner's knowledge. I just mentioned lights and right away he mentioned Kelvin temps for plant growth and had quite a bit of info regarding LED fixtures. We talked about several different fish and how hardy or picky they can be and different kinds of food to feed them. Prices on lights, pumps, etc are lower than most retailers too. The downside is that he doesn't keep much in stock and has to get the equipment from the warehouse which takes a couple days. But if you don't mind waiting, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better deal locally.
Sounds good! Does he stock plants?
Old 07-23-2013, 05:26 AM   #18
aquaphytophilic
Algae Grower

I have been to Paul's place a couple of times and asked for plants. He gets them from a local person who drops of a couple of varieties each week. I guess you can give him a list of what varieties you want, and maybe he can order them for you. I got a couple of varieties of bunched plants from him they are pretty healthy. I asked him if he could email me the types of plants he gets since i am quite far from his store, but he tells me he doesn't send or check emails on a regular basis. Bummer.

He did have a couple of beautiful Madagascar lace plants in 2 of his tanks. Huge ones too!

On a side note, I did check out the driftwood collecting place at the causeway, I did not find much, Most of the "driftwood" that I saw were remnants of an activity known as "campfire". Mostly charred bits of wood and sticks...and beer cans...
aquaphytophilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #19
shiloh
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaphytophilic View Post
On a side note, I did check out the driftwood collecting place at the causeway, I did not find much, Most of the "driftwood" that I saw were remnants of an activity known as "campfire". Mostly charred bits of wood and sticks...and beer cans...
I ended up finding my wood in a real swampy area of Starkey Wilderness Park. The stuff you'd find in/around the bay itself is just not very big or interesting.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:29 AM   #20
zimbo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to zimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snookmeister View Post
Don't buy driftwood. There are many places to gather. For example, the southwest end of the Howard Franklin bridge on the "causeway" has absolutely EPIC pieces of driftwood from tiny to GIANT , dump trucks full. Bring you a little saw and have at it. Look down on the back sides of mangrove shorelines And you will find all sorts of various driftwood that is typically old and often dry. Areas near the saltwater are your places to look for wood.
So i found this place today. It is a good hunting ground for driftwood and i did get some pieces. You do need to get right into the mangroves, and to the shoreline. You're welcome to message me for more info.

I also wish i could have stayed longer. You see there's a lot of dubious activity going on down there, and frankly i don't recommend the site because of it. If i returned, it would be with a concealed carry no less.

When i pulled up i noticed several vehicles on the side of the road, and thought, well sure folks must just be fishing in the edge of the mangroves or something. One side of the road, was, the other side of the road it turned out (where there was better wood incidentially) contained random middle aged and older men wondering about the woods. No fishing rods, up to goodness knows what. Just standing there most of the time walking about....waiting.

Being a physician, i tend to talk to random strangers for better or worse. I got chatting to one of the guys as i was walking out with my arms full of wood, and eventually dropped the question, " what on earth is everyone doing here." His response was, you don't want to know what's going on here, although its not drugs. He also advised i got my wood and got out before i found myself in an uncomfortable situation/trouble. Needless to say i got the heck out of dodge.

I don't know if this is every day of the week or what. However, if there's a bunch of cars parked out there with random men wondering about, my warning is to watch out for yourself. Otherwise great driftwood prowl site, although know that there may be folks prowling you as much as you're prowling for driftwood. I think i have a good idea of what the site was all about, but i'll leave it off the public domain. Lets just say for a single, young male physician it was NOT the place i should have been this afternoon.
zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #21
itsdavem

collected on the Hillsborough river, rent or borrow a kayak to get to the good spots...
itsdavem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #22
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)

I know the area you're talking about down in the mangroves, I went there once looking for wood and I won't be going back....alone at least.....creepy
drewsuf82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #23
shiloh
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsdavem View Post

collected on the Hillsborough river, rent or borrow a kayak to get to the good spots...
Which section of the river did you go on?