The Planted Tank Forum banner

Rocks

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  mwei 
#1 ·
I am just wondering, what are those big flat rocks that people usually use on the side of the ponds and where can I get them from? I've been trying to look for them but so far no luck...><

#2 ·
I have used/use Flagstone, found at the local lawn and garden store in my aquariums when keeping cichlids.
I can get a bunch fairly cheap and make little caves ,crevices,for the fish to retire to .
Lowes sometimes has similar stones used as paver's for walkway's.

#7 ·
I have used/use Flagstone, found at the local lawn and garden store in my aquariums when keeping cichlids.
I can get a bunch fairly cheap and make little caves ,crevices,for the fish to retire to .
Lowes sometimes has similar stones used as paver's for walkway's.

Oh, so those flat rocks are called Flagstones?! How much do they usually cost? I guess I'll check if my local Home Depot or Lowes has them the next time I drop by those stores!

Bump:
Look up local stores with any of the following terms:
Rock
Stone
Brick
Bark
Soil
Masonry
and similar terms.
These are stores that sell in bulk for landscape and other purposes.
Most of these stores will sell by the pound or by the truckload.

Take a Sharpie marker. Take some samples (at least 6" across) The sharpie writes right on the rock. Label them. Bring home the samples and look at them in place. Look at them in sun or shade, wet or dry and see how well they work with the surroundings.

Sharp edged rock does not look as natural near water.
Rock that has been near running water for a long time has softly rounded edges.
Rock should be the same sort of rock. It may have natural color variations, but do not get different types of rock and mix them, if you want a natural looking pond.

So any landscaping companies/stores will have them? I'm actually not thinking of using the rocks for a "legit" pond...YET...otherwise my mom will probably kill me...hahahaha
but ya, I'm thinking of getting some smaller ones to use in my new 75 gallon tank to get more of a "pond"/natural look.

#3 ·
Look up local stores with any of the following terms:
Rock
Stone
Brick
Bark
Soil
Masonry
and similar terms.
These are stores that sell in bulk for landscape and other purposes.
Most of these stores will sell by the pound or by the truckload.

Take a Sharpie marker. Take some samples (at least 6" across) The sharpie writes right on the rock. Label them. Bring home the samples and look at them in place. Look at them in sun or shade, wet or dry and see how well they work with the surroundings.

Sharp edged rock does not look as natural near water.
Rock that has been near running water for a long time has softly rounded edges.
Rock should be the same sort of rock. It may have natural color variations, but do not get different types of rock and mix them, if you want a natural looking pond.

#6 ·
In the twin tiers of NY/PA, all the old fields have huge slate walls around them...just trying to get the rocks out of the way of the ploughs for the last 200 years. The waterfall rocks in my pond all came from what I dug out on site. 4 foot by 1.5 foot slabs. It really isn't that great, though, that it takes an hour with a pick to dig a hole for a rosebush. Sometimes I would readily trade our cheap bluestone for deep topsoil in my garden.

#8 ·
You can get rock in places that sell it in bulk. Most will sell it by the pound, just pick out the ones you like. Get more than you think you need, some will not work when you get to arranging them.

The general term for relatively flat rock is flagstone.
This does not tell you what minerals are in it, just the shape.

Take some baggies with you and a sharpie marker.
Take some samples of whatever rock you like. Little bits break off and fall from the pallets all the time. If the rock is small, put a few pieces in a baggie and label it. Larger pieces can be labeled right on the rock.

Then take the rock home and clean them (scrub with a stiff brush), then put each type in a different jar of water. Test the water when you start, then every few days for a week.
If the GH, KH, TDS and pH change only a tiny bit, or do not change, then the rock is safe for use in soft water tanks.
If these parameters change significantly then these rocks might be OK for a hard water tank, but not a soft water tank.

#9 ·
You can get rock in places that sell it in bulk. Most will sell it by the pound, just pick out the ones you like. Get more than you think you need, some will not work when you get to arranging them.

The general term for relatively flat rock is flagstone.
This does not tell you what minerals are in it, just the shape.

Take some baggies with you and a sharpie marker.
Take some samples of whatever rock you like. Little bits break off and fall from the pallets all the time. If the rock is small, put a few pieces in a baggie and label it. Larger pieces can be labeled right on the rock.

Then take the rock home and clean them (scrub with a stiff brush), then put each type in a different jar of water. Test the water when you start, then every few days for a week.
If the GH, KH, TDS and pH change only a tiny bit, or do not change, then the rock is safe for use in soft water tanks.
If these parameters change significantly then these rocks might be OK for a hard water tank, but not a soft water tank.
Ah I see. Thank you so much for all the info and tips, really appreciate it! :D

#10 ·
Don't know where you are in NJ, but there are plenty of landscapes supply stores around where you can get some pretty nice looking rocks.

I am in the north in the Highlands area and always look around when I'm hiking for flat rocks. Depends how long I have to carry them if I take them. I have dug up many over the years. You can get nice gneiss in our area and no worries about the iron in them. I use them and have for over 6 years without problems.

Here's some nice rocks, not flat, from Ringwood-Oakland area. Old style 35 mm aluminum film can for size reference:

These are rocks I've dug up since 1985 in a 65 gallon tank. They are all flat and would work fine as an edging rock. Nothing to prevent you from using a larger rock every once in a while either.

#11 ·
Don't know where you are in NJ, but there are plenty of landscapes supply stores around where you can get some pretty nice looking rocks.

I am in the north in the Highlands area and always look around when I'm hiking for flat rocks. Depends how long I have to carry them if I take them. I have dug up many over the years. You can get nice gneiss in our area and no worries about the iron in them. I use them and have for over 6 years without problems.

Here's some nice rocks, not flat, from Ringwood-Oakland area. Old style 35 mm aluminum film can for size reference:

These are rocks I've dug up since 1985 in a 65 gallon tank. They are all flat and would work fine as an edging rock. Nothing to prevent you from using a larger rock every once in a while either.

Haha, yea! I do live by several large landscaping stores/companies so I have a decent amount of places to check out! :D

And ah...so lucky...I'm no where near any places where I could scavage/look for rocks/wood to use...:icon_frow
and wow...those rocks of yours looks amazing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.