The Planted Tank Forum banner

A 1500 gallons Koi Pond <3

10K views 54 replies 24 participants last post by  Saxtonhill 
#1 ·
Hey Ppl!!

It happens that we have at our house a pond that was already made by the previous owner, but ever-since wasn't in use for 2-3 years. Now being the avid aquarist that i am, i just couldn't leave it unattended, so for the last 4-5 days i've been cleaning, and re-vamping the whole thing to make it livable again.
After 3 ful garbage bags of cr*p, finally got that thing clean, and figured out on first try how the filtration system works.We got here a input/output box of the Laguna 5000 Filtration system, with the biggest pump the hard-ware store had to offer which i bought a few days ago. Hooked it up, water began running and i fixed up the waterfall to make it more aesthetically pleasing.:flick:
There's already some aquatic plants in there, and 11 goldfish/5 beautiful kois (2 grey with big scales/2 golden with big scales/1 big red)

Here is a few pictures of my new babeeyyyyy :)

:fish1:

See less See more
#10 ·
Hi everyone! So here's a few update pics. I changed waterfall of place. reorganized n cleaned up a bit morethis pond. Also added water lilis and some misc plants.
Also video here below.

#13 ·
Very nice. As a goldfish lover ...I'm jealous. So much room for a school of goldfish. Lucky bum:)

dtejeda.arias That is awesome. I'm sooooo jealous, your pond seems bigger then my bedroom
Hehe thank you! it is a dream come true for me also !!

It is prolly bigger than you bedroom, considering this pond is full length of the house loll...

#14 ·
Lets hope you have not brought any hitch-hikers like leeches back into that nice pond of yours :)

#17 ·
izabella - I want to know how many little ponds you glued together to make this big one? :hihi:

I had a 300gal concrete pond that got so warm one very hot summer I had moved my African Cichlids and Angelfish into it for true summer. They looked incredible. The concrete pond and surrounding patio retain so much heat the water maintained 80 degree temps.

At the end of summer had hundreds of fry, that I had to figure out who was what sp. It was a fun project.

#18 ·
lol nONE! It was already there when i moved to the house.. but very unwelcoming dirty pond it was.. no fish only billion of frogs and decaying plants/leafs.. took 3 days to clean up the mess lolll

Nice for your fish ! I had put my venustus there for a couple day to see if he clear outmy frog invasion.. didnt work.. now i just scoop the tadpoles n feed them to my africans, who love it lol... yum !

And here's a few of my new videos !

#19 ·
Hello Pleople :)
I have a few new pictures from the pond, blooming waterlilies, infestation of frogs continues, more pretty fish and somewhat of an upsidedown tank to see fishies sideways :)

#22 ·
Hi everyone, yesterday I took a video of my pond. After fixing the filtration tubes that were leaking a bit next to the filter (leaking at bit meaning losing gallons a day lol...) I got some professional gear that doesn't leak and now the waterfall is placed higher and has a stronger flow! Also notice how more sociable my fish are becoming. They are coming closer and closer everyday at feeding time or just when I stand next to the pond. It used to b a challenge to film them because they would always swim away. One day I think I`ll be able to hand-feed them. My feeder goldfish I bought when I first began the pond, them they are very friendly and curious and always hang around me. The bigger goldfish and koi I rescued a lil while ago, they are more on their guards, wonder where they coming from to be so scared. There was in fact one that had a sore on its side, but over the weeks that i individually medicated it, the sore is not completely healed.
Here`s pics and videos, hope you like it :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1010592_10151749912427474_641708445_n.jpg

#23 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, yesterday I took a video of my pond. After fixing the filtration tubes that were leaking a bit next to the filter (leaking at bit meaning losing gallons a day lol...) I got some professional gear that doesn't leak and now the waterfall is placed higher and has a stronger flow! Also notice how more sociable my fish are becoming. They are coming closer and closer everyday at feeding time or just when I stand next to the pond. It used to b a challenge to film them because they would always swim away. One day I think I`ll be able to hand-feed them. My feeder goldfish I bought when I first began the pond, them they are very friendly and curious and always hang around me. The bigger goldfish and koi I rescued a lil while ago, they are more on their guards, wonder where they coming from to be so scared. There was in fact one that had a sore on its side, but over the weeks that i individually medicated it, the sore is now completely healed.
Here`s pics and videos, hope you like it :)

#24 ·
Wow! Absolutely stunning pond. I am so jealous of people with ponds especially big ones. ponds are on my "must have" list before I die.

Is there a lot of maintenance and work in maintaining your pond? What is your source of water for the pond? Rainwater? tap water?

#26 ·
Thank you:) its not that much maintenance. once i week i clean the filter/skimmer and put pump in the middle and drain out 1/3 of water n refill with normal water +conditionner. Most ppl are against rocks in the pond because they accumulate debris, but the way i do it, theres not really any debris and the water plants love it. and when i empty the water into my lawn, the grass is going greener the next day :)
here's a few new videos, hand feeding them now :D

#28 ·
Thank you :) yeah im so happy they like me now. For months they been scared.
You can make a smaller pond if u have a backyard, in the meanwhile.

Here's an evening video of when fish are the most active

http://youtu.be/CFCg_3Dw58g

#30 ·
Nice Pond!

I was just going to ask the same thing. What is the depth at the deepest part of the pond. I'm actually digging out a pond right now and deciding on the depth. From what I can tell in NY if you have a 3 foot section you should be OK to keep the fish in all winter, but Montreal is even colder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.