The Planted Tank Forum banner

Pond project - Jungle vines

19K views 84 replies 12 participants last post by  newday3000 
#1 · (Edited)
I had 2 ponds at my old house.

See threads 600G and my 3000G I filled both ponds in before I moved and sold everything.

I wanted to start a new pond project at my new house but space is limited due to pool and landscaped backyard. The new house had a rock waterless waterfall with shallow liner. I plan trying to use this as part of the project. it's a 105 G pre-formed liner

Here is what the area looks like at the back of the yard. Pond will be in the back corner.

This is the 210G preform I will sink into a hole in the ground. I will likely have it raised a bit and frame it with stone.

To the right is the v shaped slate stacked water fall that I will connect and recycle water between the pond and the water fall. I plan on feeding the back of the water fall. This whole area is covered in vines that grow everywhere and flower.

This is the current water fall that dumps into a rock area with liner underneath. Very shallow and can old about 6 inches of water if needed.

I will put fish (shabukins), water lily maybe 2, Water iris and rushes into the main pond.

Stay tuned for updates.

See less See more
#59 ·
Thanks, still not happy with the look. Its a new pond and pea soup green water is now what the water looks like. fish don't care but I do. I ordered a 55W UV clarifier to plumb inline to try to clear up the suspended algae.

Still working on plan for better mechanical filtration. I will be adding one more Koi and another lily today to get the surface of the pond covered and help with algae blooms.

My goal is water clarity to the bottom which is 44" depth, long way to go but that's why it's my hobby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#60 ·
finally more lily blooms

new favorite marginal plant for sure Scarlet lobelia (Lobelia Cardinalis Queen Victoria) it's hardy zone 5 so I am hoping it can overwinter here which is zone 4-5

#61 ·
I was given ceramic Koi art from Hawaii and thought it looked good guarding the pond. Plants growing out of the pond and into it (Creepy Jenny) adds roots when it hits water, cool plant. Canna lily bloomed very nice blooms.

Attachments

#65 ·
#66 ·
Thanks,

My boss got me this from Hawaii from a local artist that specializes in Koi ceramics. Thought it looked cool watching over the ponds. Can also be submerged but my pond is too deep to see it.

#68 ·
Decided to winterize today to avoid standing in freezing water. I also used new tip on suspending netting from the vines near by and leaves using beach balls. Works very well and easy to install netting with beach balls.

Still need to remove UV, and pressurized filter but I can do that easily without getting wet and pool house has switch to kill power the pumps that I will leave at the bottom of the pond.

Attachments

#69 ·
I am using pond aerator to keep the ice open and after a huge snow dump, I found the snow insulated the water and the bubbler kept a 12" hole open. In the past i used powerhead pointed at the surface to keep the hole open.

The aerator is very low power and so far so good. Was trying to keep the hydro costs down and avoid a de-icer which are 300 watts cycled on and off in -35c is likely going to cost a lot of money.

Will see how this bubbler solution works when it gets colder.

Plant Snow Window House Freezing

#74 ·
Thanks for the comments. It was hard to fit on the space I had so I dug down 4 almost 5 feet to get the gallons I wanted for fish. I also had no easy way to remove earth so it's all behind the trellis you see at the back but it all fit back there.

I find its very deep (bought hip waders to do work in the pond)for lilys so I sit them on egg crate to get them closer to the surface. Hoping for a lot more growth this year as the pond matures in year 2 first year never goes as planned.

Plan on adding more koi (over winter I had pond de-icer fail due to breaker flip and ice blocked me from getting at the breaker in the pool pump room so I had No hole in the ice and lost all he fish over winter.

I need to restock this year and fix breaker issue for this winter.

#80 ·
Pond doing great now water hyacinth growing fish doubled in size

Frogs finally showed up

No lily blooms yet but I just fertilized them

Canna Lilly is blooming

Calico day lily blooming in year 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.