The Planted Tank Forum banner

Is this normal? Hydor In line heater

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  tropicalryan 
#1 ·
I'm looking for input from other Hydor inline heater owners. I have the Hydor ETH In-Line External Heater 300w with 5/8" hoses and I noticed quite a bit of condensation has built up inside the heater. Its visible within the the semi-transparent black housing that encases the heater. Is this normal, I bought it earlier this year.

Automotive tire Tire Automotive exterior Tints and shades Carbon

Automotive tire Writing implement Office supplies Automotive lighting Rim

See less See more
#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have it standing vertically as per the manufacturer's instruction

Room temp and tank temp difference is a little on the high side IMO. What size tank are you heating?

I own two 200w and unfortuanetly both blew their fuses during a short power outage. Gotta send them off to be fixed.
I have since lowered the temperature a bit and it's heating a 40 gallon breeder

#8 ·
I agree I find it odd but nothing is actually leaking out of the heater. I have unplugged it and am using another heater as a precaution until its dealt with. I contacted hydor, just waiting on a reply. I only bought it in March of this year so its not even a year old.

#10 ·
I agree with the above response.

It is possible there is a hairline crack in the internal glass housing or that the gaskets aren't seated quite right.

Wait for a response from the Mfg., especially since the heater may fall under the warranty.

#12 ·
i have two 300w and one 200w ETH's and have never seen anything like this. i also live in canada my house is at 19 degrees/66 Fahrenheit tanks are kept at a solid 88 degrees. i would check for small cracks im not sure how these heaters are designed on the inside but there could be a crack inside. other than the condensation does the heater seem to be turning on/off properly/consistently?

#14 ·
I left the heater for awhile, the condensation actually appears to have almost disappeared.

I contacted Hydor, they want me to ship it to them in California so they can take a look at it and replace/repair it from there. If they deem it not within there warranty standard I will be charged for return shipping. Here's the thing to even get it to them its going to cost me around $30 (international shipping), I can buy a new one with no hassle or risk for $55.

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabruce
The last one I bought was an out of box failure. I had to ship it Cali to get it repaired/replaced.
Ouch that's rough, it's been 9 months for this one, it actually still works
It's a great product, I'm sure the chances of that happening again are pretty rare but s**t happens. Just like a few have cracked or leaked.:icon_neut

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.