The Planted Tank Forum banner

Rotala not sending roots?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  timwag2001 
#1 ·
I recently pulled out some of my rotala occultiflora (similar to mexicana) and found that it wasn't sending any roots which would be why it's not doing so well. Does this sound like there's not enough nutrient in the substrate?

I have 4xHOT5 over a 125 G 4ft, pressurized co2 4dkh drop checker which ranges from green to yellow, light is approx 28" from substrate.

Sam

#3 ·
Make sure you cut between the nodes. If you cut through the node, you'll likely kill the meristem. Make sure also that you don't crush the meristem when you insert the plants into the substrate or it will rot. These are the 2 most common things I've seen that hinder root formation.

#4 ·
Are you using ferts ? My rotolas rooted fairly quickly in a similar set up as yours (smaller tank). I use rootmedic liquid 5x a week. Keeps it nice and simple. Plus my plants love it. Root tabs also are good for getting new plants to root.

#6 ·
Hello Methodman. The plant problem may be as easy as replacing a light. If your current light is more than 6 months old, it may be worth replacing. Lights can dim over time. Next time get a 6,500 K light and possibly add a good liquid fert like "Plantgro" from Nutrafin. I'm no expert, but my plants seem to do well under the above conditions.

BBradbury

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.