The Planted Tank Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reccomend a dog for my family

8K views 109 replies 50 participants last post by  DogFish 
#1 ·
I have always had labs in my family, as a child growing up and now as an adult. As much as I like labs I would like something a little calmer. I have noticed that labs don't seem to loose that puppy hyperactivity till they die. I do like a dog that I can play with but I would also like for that dog to take cues from me and the family, such as we sit down to watch something he sits down and relaxes too.
We are a younger family, I am 30, my wife is 28 and 3 kids, 7y/o boy and 2/4 y/o girls.
I do want a large dog (minimum 60-70lbs). I know some dogs that I would like but not sure how hard they would be to find for the right price or if they would fit in with our family. The dog will be an indoor dog along with one very easy to get along with cat (she likes to play with dogs).
I like Irish wolfhounds, American bulldogs just to name a few.
So what do you guys think?

#39 ·
Collies are a great all-around dog. Intelligent, gentle, tolerant of kids, know when it's time to play and when it's time to relax. If you want less hair, look at a smooth collie, but I think they can have a little more of an independent streak to them. Some will fetch, others just like to walk. Mine will fetch, but only indoors. Outdoors, he is too busy following his nose. A dog run or a fenced yard is usually recommended if they are outside unsupervised.

#41 ·
Probably a little small for you, but I'd swear by my shetland sheepdog. These dogs are intelligent, athletic (popular breed in agility contests), incredible with kids (will use herding instinct to keep them accounted for) and at the end of the day will make a real fully pillow to hang out with. Some might find the hair to be an issue, but I think it's way over-rated.

#43 ·
I recommend going to a couple of your local shelters. Tell the worker what your family life is like and what you expect from the dog you wish to own. The workers know the dogs and can help match your family up with the perfect pet.

Getting a breed is nice, but not all of the dogs in the breed go by the "standard personality traits" each dog is an individual.

#47 ·
Do consider a pit bull if that's an option where you live. Most of them will be a bit smaller than what you said you want, but they do have the beefy looks, and they are truly awesome dogs with kids. As someone said, pits are high-energy dogs, but exercised regularly, they tend to be calm dogs around the house. I have a 2-year-old pit and a 9-month old baby. The dog started mellowing when the kid was born, so it was perfect timing. Now he's incredibly gentle with the baby and wants to be with the family every second of his life.

#48 ·
Great Dane is our breed and we had them for 30 years. Contrary to popular believes, very large dogs do not require lots of room as they are pretty sedentary and like their sleep. Danes make excellent apartment dogs as couple of 30 min walks a day keep them happy. Both of our kids grew up with Danes from age 0 - a better babysitter is hard to find. They also tend to stay out of trouble as they do not have anything to prove, given their size. They are extremely loyal and make great bodyguards, especially for their female owners and kids. I call them a 'girl's best friend'. Their reputation of gentle giants is well deserved, but you do not want to argue with one. In middle ages they were used to hunt wild boars.

But in the end, you get a dog you deserve: they are not just pets - they are family members, what you put in is what you get out. DogFish all the way: training and socialization is what makes a dog a good dog.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

#49 ·
I have a golden retriever/Australian Shepherd mix. Very well behaved and now that she's older, she's very mellow. Loves being around people. When you are outside, she will come and and lay by your side. She sheds a lot so she needs to be groomed frequently.

I've heard that french bulldogs are nice dogs. They might be worth checking out.

#50 ·
Well I have been doing some looking and finding an American bulldog is going to be hard. I did go by the pound today and found a great playful pit. A little smaller then I was looking for but I fell in love with it. Sadly I was unable to adopt him as their power had gone out and they were unable to complete any adoptions. They are closed tomorrow but will reopen Thursday. I am going to try to be there when they open and pick him up. I will keep you guys updated as to what happens.
Thank you for all of your replies.

#51 ·
Best of luck with the Pit Puppy.

I do not want to steal your thunder but this is an important consideration. I would suggest the pup go straight to a your Vet for a health check. If there are major health issues better to make a decision with the guidance of the Vet BEFORE you fall in love with the puppy.

Do find out what the pound rules/polices are should there be a serious health issue.

#53 ·
Okay so I know earlier I said there was no pound in my area as they lost funding, well it had been a few months since I had been by and they have since reopened. With that said...

Best of luck with the Pit Puppy.

I do not want to steal your thunder but this is an important consideration. I would suggest the pup go straight to a your Vet for a health check. If there are major health issues better to make a decision with the guidance of the Vet BEFORE you fall in love with the puppy.

Do find out what the pound rules/polices are should there be a serious health issue.
The pit is 1y/o (according to the pound) and looks and acts about right. The way the pound here works is the dogs are $87 if not fixed and $37 if fixed. Well this little guy isn't...yet. When you adopt one who hasn't been fixed and is old enough they transport it to the vet of my choice and have it spayed/neutered and rabies shots, then the vet calls you for pick up. I am also going to have the vet look it over and see how it's doing.
I will talk to the people at the pound and see what their policy on serious health problems are, thanks for that heads up.

I honestly wasn't even going to look at a pit or any other "aggressive" breeds thinking my insurance wouldn't cover it, but I called them today and they don't restrict any breed including wolf. So I broadened my search and while there I fell in love with this dog. He is a little smaller than I was looking for but what are you gonna do. Now my only dilemma is I need to be there Thursday first in the door to get him. When I tried today and was told the power was out I was a little let down but the girl behind the counter told me she would come in tomorrow and adopt him out for me as they are closed Wednesday and that is my only off day but then someone piped up and said someone else was coming Thursday to adopt him. So now I just need to make sure I leave some open time to be there first.

And we are expecting Pics!!!

:icon_mrgr:icon_mrgr:icon_mrgr
Oh I know how forums work, pics or ban.

Thanks again for all the help to everyone.

#57 ·
Most of my dogs have been rescues. My lab is from craigslist and as you all know the pit is from the pound. My sons cat also came from the pound.
My favorite dog of all time was from the pound, I had to put her down 2 years ago after 16 years. I took the day off work and cried with my sister as we buried her.

Pit are one of the smartest breed.
I have heard that before and from what I hear that can be good as well as bad. I had a friend who has one and hers would climb a 7' privacy fence on a regular basis. This one will have it much easier as it is only a 4' chain link. But they won't be in the back yard for to long as my dogs are indoor dogs.

#59 ·
When I got my Am. Staff. I did a lot of research on their origins. This is what I found.

A lot of American Staffordshire Terrier (American Pitbull Terriers) need a job to help burn off energy. They were bred to be a farm/hunting dog.

Their original jobs were to herd, pull carts, guard the farm and hunt game. They are fast, strong, loyal and good trackers.

A lot of people don't hunt for this info and go with the "they were bred to fight" nonsense. If trained properly, their smarts make them great family dogs.

#60 · (Edited)
The origanal term "Bull & Terrier", the common 'Pitt Bull" or the politically Correct American Staffordshire Terrier, are what they are today and were what they were back then. I find it rather perverse to try to "sugar coat" the dogs history.

The "farm" duties in the 1800's were far from being an episode of "Lassie". The Bulldog were used to Bait bulls i.e.. catch them by the nose & head. It was thought that the adrenaline rush prior to slaughter would improve the beef. Terrier blood was crossed in to increase the aggressiveness. The Bull & terrier was created. Those dogs were the ancestors of the Pitt Bulls that were later fought for sport in England and here in America.

The UKC (United Kennel Club) original was a register for dog fitting Pitt bulls.

True Pitt Bulls are 30# to 40# dogs. In the last 25 years people have been cross breeding in am. Bulldogs to create todays "Bully" dogs. Which get lumped into the category PittBull.

In the USA the hunting use is for catching wild boar. Which while they do well as a catch dog, they tend to be too aggressive with the Curs & Hounds also used to hunt the boar.

The single reason the a Pitt Bull is so good with people is the breeding history. Dogs were selected to be responsive to humans so they could be conditioned to the ring.

The key to responsible ownership is to understand the breed.

#62 ·
The origanal term "Bull & Terrier", the common 'Pitt Bull" or the politically Correct American Staffordshire Terrier, are what they are today and were what they were back then. I find it rather perverse to try to "sugar coat" the dogs history.
Sugar coat? I guess it wouldn't matter to you that I have spoken to people who are in the business of keeping sheep and ducks for the purpose of herding. They have agreed with me that it is a sad thing that the use for fighting has outweighed the original use of a farm dog.

To go even further, Mastiff breeds in general were originally used for herding and guarding livestock. The Rottweiler were originally bred to be cart pulling dogs. That is the reason why their tails were docked, so they wouldn't get caught in the wheels and axels.

#63 ·
Yes, "sugar coat", saying it was a farm dog is true, trying to spin it into Lassie herding ducks is ridiculous. They were catch dogs. There were too rough on stock to be allowed to run the farm and were typical tied to a tree or building. Research the English "bandog". I understand the Pitt's fighting heritage offends your sensibilities. I don't condone dog fighting. I also accept the true history for what it is. I'm not anti-pitt, I am pro reality.

Rotties tails were indeed docked to prevent injury. Mostly from bashing their own tails against building / fencing. One look at a dog cart and you clearly see it would be near impossible to get a dogs tail caught in a wheel. Of course anything could happen. The biggest reason the practice caught on was the lack of Med. Care for dogs in the 1800's. For a dog or livestock, an infected wound was a death sentence. This is also why ear cropping was done. Pigs are nasty animals a licks bite and off comes a dogs ear. So drop eared dogs got their ears cropped. A practiced associated with fighting, but originated with farmers a shepherds.

The small farms used dogs to pull the small carts on the farm. Rotties were used more as cattle drovers, carting was a side benefit. Farmers realized that with the tail docked the Rotties trotting endurance improved. That was due to the shift in the balance point allow the spine. Without the tail that balance point moves forward. In Nordic breed that run long distance the tail set it held curled over the spine which also accomplishes the same thing. Rotties are extremely territorial , so they filled a role as farm security too.

#64 ·
I did find an article about a small town somewhere down south that tried to ban Am.Staffs. from herding trials. Their reasoning was that the Am. Staffs. won all the ribbons and did not give the Aussies any chances. They did not achieve this goal.

-EDIT- Am. Staffs. and German Shepherds are both considered difficult to train as herders because they both have the instinct to bite the sheep instead of nip like collies do.

#66 ·
Now you are just are being silly. Herding trials that are open to the public (vs. Clubs) typically make people sigh a wavier and if you dog injures an animal you bought it. If anything Pitt aren't being allowed to enter because they are tearing up the livestock.

What do think the "Shepard"part of German Shepard Dog means? There are different "styles" of herding. A GSD and a Collie work differently that a Border Collie & Aussies, which is different from a corgi and a cattle dog, and none of the "work" like a Catahoula.

I understand you love your Pitts, I got it. Seriously, stop with the fairy tales.

#69 ·
Sorry for the delay guys, I've had a string of bud luck going and the computer was the furthest thing from my mind. I managed to cut the top off my knuckle off, severing the tendons and was unable to take any time off of work. I'm a contractor so if I'm not working I'm not getting paid. Then even with my busted finger I had a few cars that I had to finish working on and somehow managed to wreck one so that has been a fun ordeal to go through.
Any way on to the dog. He is doing pretty good but needs to learn some basic training. He does great with my kids and Toda our chocolate lab.

He wont sit still for two seconds for me to snap a picture but here is what I have
He's a little on the skinny side, vet weighed him out at 42lbs and you can count his ribs from across the room. But I think with being in a home vs the pound and a regular diet he'll be good to go in a couple of weeks.
Meet Diesel (my animals usually get car related names and since pits are so strong it seemed a fitting name)

#70 ·
Looks good. Don't get carried away with body weight. Max, 5#s. Big mistake made by most people buying a pound or shelter dog they over compensate them they are out looking for diet food.

A fit athletic dog should be just showing the last rib. It's proven a lean dog will be with you 2 to 3 yrs longer on average than the 4 legged trash cans.

#72 ·
The lab's got got muscle tome & size on the thigh. If you can grab a fold of skin on the shoulder rib area and feel the fat layer you might take a few pounded off.

Looking more at the pit, I'm seeking muscle tone in the shoulder & thigh so maybe less than 5# more. 5#s or 10 % on 50 # dog is a lot. Most American dogs like most American people are over weight. Removing the Sex glands doesn't help as the hormones job among other things, is to regulate weight.

#75 ·
The lab's got got muscle tome & size on the thigh. If you can grab a fold of skin on the shoulder rib area and feel the fat layer you might take a few pounded off.

Looking more at the pit, I'm seeking muscle tone in the shoulder & thigh so maybe less than 5# more. 5#s or 10 % on 50 # dog is a lot. Most American dogs like most American people are over weight. Removing the Sex glands doesn't help as the hormones job among other things, is to regulate weight.
lol so true on the average American = overweight, I tried the grab test and well lets say she's going to eat less and work out harder.

It sounds like he fits into your family just fine. He's a lovely dog.
Looks like he's fitting right in!!!! Congrats!!!!
He does, he's great. He's a lot rougher with my little girl and oddly enough that's a good thing. She's always wanting to wrestle with Toda (lab) and she's always very gentle with her. Not Diesel...he will climb all over her and sit on her which she thinks is the funniest thing in the world.

Thank you everyone for your opinion, input and knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.