The Planted Tank Forum banner

Does Mh Holders ‘sweat’??

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Ibn 
#1 · (Edited)
I have never used MH fittings. Do the MH fittings with ballast, reflectors and bulbs, available generally on the electrical shelves sweat?? By sweat I mean that after switching off a hot MH inside the hood, does moisture enter inside the fittings? If so so with what consequence? If the consequences are bad, how to avoid it?

I understand the heat generation of MH, and I have incorporated a fan, 8” diameter, with vanes which direct the air flow across the surface of the aquarium water. I have provided a netted window for the air to flow out at the upper level.

I think I have to tell you a little more about my aquarium to enable you give me a little more guidance. This question arises from my resetting my 72”X36”X24” aquarium built outwards from my eastern wall. The glass front is flush with the wall, the aquarium proper is outside the room in my terrace, the three walls on the terrace side are not glass but granite. I don’t have a hood but I have closed the 30” top space between the aquarium and the roof projection with aluminium framed glass, keeping the longest side hinged and in two parts for maintenance from the terrace side. I have a mirror backed hatch door on the room side for feeding and maintenance. So practically my hood is:- 72”X36”X30” high. I am resetting this aquarium for CO2 and a few more varieties of plants.

I want help with the light and fittings, choice of lights, and advices about what to avoid. I intend to use a mixture of 6500K and 8500K 150 W bulbs.

I am OK as a DIY, used to make most things including aquariums since school days (I used to make the iron framed aquarium then and their hoods). Age has slowed me but increased my repertoire of skills.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd love to see a picture of your tank... sounds like a very interesting one!

Not sure about the "sweating"... what you mean is condensation, which occurs when water collects on cooler surfaces. This happens ambient temperatures drop over night, especially if you don't have cover glasses.

I don't know much specifically wrt metal halides, but in general, water and electricity are a bad combination.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.