The Planted Tank Forum banner

fish are so funny

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  babydragons 
#1 · (Edited)
So a few months ago a friend of mine decii he was getting out of the hobby. He offers me his fish. The only fish that was compatible with my fish was this one rummy nose tetra. I didn't have any rummy nose in my tank but figured I could pick some up. I have in my tank 12 cardinal tetra and noticed after a few days the rummy was schooling with the cardinal . A month or so goes by before I buy some rummy friends for him. Last week I pick up six rummy friends for him. He has no interest in the other rummy fish He still schools with the cardinals not the other rummy tetra. I guess if he's happy I'm happy

#2 ·
Haha, this is awesome, I had something similar happen with guppies.

I have about six guppies total two of which are Cobra Guppies, that were added later than the others and were much smaller.

About 2 weeks after adding the cobra guppies I started a new 29 gallon tank and had eventually moved all the guppies in there with 5 Neon tetras. Since the very first day the smallest cobra guppy showed interest in the tetras and now he will "play" with the guppies (that are constantly goofing off in the tank) half the time and then will randomly leave the guppy herd and start swimming around with the tetras. He's not picky, he just likes variation I guess :)

#4 ·
I had a bit of the opposite problem. I bought 6 cardinal tetras that were all from the same tank so I thought they'd all be buddy-buddy. The largest tetra had a slightly more turquoise stripe than the rest so he got ostracized. They picked on him, wouldn't let him swim with the group, and nipped at his fins a lot (which earned him the name 'Stumpy').

So he ended up always swimming alone by himself and all the others schooled together. :<

#7 · (Edited)
Silliest fish I have is my bristlenose pleco. I finally had to pull the amano shrimp from his tank as he would *not* stop dive-bombing them.

He'd hang out at the top of the tank, wait for one of them to wander out into the open, then fling himself down, smash them into the substrate, indulge in a mosh-pit worthy pleco-noogie wriggling, then sprint off and hide behind some driftwood, peeking out to watch 'em stagger back, dazed, to their little shrimpy feet. Either he's got a really low sense of humor, or amano are spikey enough to make good tummy scratchers.

#11 ·
Who remembers finding Nemo?

Right around the time I turned 18, my parents redid the 10 gal hex we had. They let me go to the pet store to pick out all the new things. Yes I picked out blue gravel and fake plants but I had always wanted one of those air pump treasure chests. You know the one that fills up with bubbles and opens to release them all. Well a few months into the new setup we started to notice that our pleco would freak out when the chest opened. He would swim over and land on top of it like the fish from finding Nemo! "My bubbles,my bubbles!!!" Well the chest eventually stopped working since the pleco did it so often it broke.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.