The Planted Tank Forum banner

Snakes in Planted tank...

4K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  thedudeabides 
#1 · (Edited)
I found these pics in one of my country news, by looking at these pics i guess they really have this type of snake in their planted tanks in South East Asia ...Ewwwww.. I m not gonna get one...

Scientific name: Erpeton tentaculatum Lacepede
Lenght : Not specific.
Locations: Thailand, Campodia, Malaysia, Vietnam.
Poison: Yes ( their venom is not fatal to human. Some people reported feeling really sleepy after getting bitten)

Here are some pics

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
They have a wonderful tank of them in Houston and San Antonio. They are actually livebearers and have a successful breeding program going. They were quite cheap and common in the 80's, but death rates were very high and eventually most importers stopped stocking them due to it.

#9 ·
I was fortunate enough to have some back in the 90s. Very cool. Hardly ever move, most people think they are sticks. But when they eat, don't blink or you will miss it. You have never seen a snake eat faster! Literally from the strike to the fish going down the throat is just a couple of seconds. I think Nat Geo did a write up on them not long ago...

#12 ·
Really? How were they to care for and any pics of the setup or details on it? Where'd you get them and, if you don't mind me asking, how much where they each? This is a species I'm very interested in and don't see much of.

#25 ·
Used to herp pretty hard and I remember that 4th picture from a book I had. Never saw an actual live specimen. That would be pretty cool in a planted setup and if given the chance I would jump on getting one. Despite being a water snake it has a very boa/pythonesqe look to it anatomically speaking, very interesting for sure.

#26 ·
Omg they really have all the weird stuffs going on over there. I ve just found couple more pics of this species. I think they are Amphibian and hobbists in my country call them with a cool nickname "6 horns dinosaurs." Honestly, I think those guys are much adorable than snakes.. what do ya think?

Scientific name : Axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.