The Planted Tank Forum banner

Just had a CF500-UV delivered! Review

2K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  secuono 
#1 ·
A short review. Easy to set up. There is a paper top that explains that each one is tested before it leaves the factory. Mine was wet but clean. All bags sealed. Setup was easy. Love the 5 tier filtration. Nice change from the circular style.

ONE PROBLEM...cut the hoses as SHORT as possible or you will NEVER get it to prime. No drip loops like old school. Once I did that- boom it primed itself.

I will also add that if you see the diagram it is not the correct (easy) way to install it as it will leave the hoses too long. Put the return in the center of the tank not the far left. Since there is a spray bar it makes no different in flow just makes the hose shorter and easier to prime.

This canister is so quiet you can not hear it. I have been told I have dog ears (by my Dad) so I can hear very well. So happy with this purchase so far and intent to buy another.:):):):)

#2 ·
I had one as well before going to my sump, great filter! I do recommend putting some vasoline on the gasket around the barrel head, i had a rough time one day with it leaking, the gasket was apparently rolling up when i was trying to get it back down

Sent from a dark corner in my happy place

#9 ·
I just got 3 of the 500's. One on my puffers 40b, and 2 on my 75. I can't even begin to express how much I love these filters! My tanks are so clear, my fish are happier, and I especially love the uv for my puffers tank since he has a constant supply of new fish. Gotta say I am definitely happy with the purchase!

#12 ·
So are these the exact same filter as the Ebay Sunsuns? I have a couple of those and they're awesome. I'm going to throw away my Marineland C Series as soon as I can afford to replace them. They're useless. I had planned to get more Sunsuns. What's the benefit of buying the aquatop version given that it's maybe $20 more give or take.

#15 ·
The sunsuns are rated mainly for the uk 220v, but work on 120v and have a 2 prong cord. The aquatops have a 3 prong cord and are rated specifically at 120v. I have also heard that the plastic canister itself is flimsy on the sunsun, but I haven't been able to verify that since I have never seen a sunsun in person. Other then that I believe they are exactly the same.

#14 ·
+1

in all my research on them they are the exact same filter some cosmetic color difference and a slightly different rating sticker but in all the moving parts as well as all the hose and fittings they are the same filter as far as I can tell.

No matter witch one you get they work and get the job done at the end of the day that's all that matters.

#18 ·
Good filter ... Good filter ... Sunsun stand right on top with eheim.
Maybe even better since the price is awesome.

For a down up filter I would pick the sunsun anyday.
For filter like the fx5 that suck water from the middle.
I go with the fx5 brother the cfs500

People who never ever use one shouldn't write a review.
Don't believe everything you see online.

#19 ·
When a sunsun/aquatop/perfect can last 20+ years you might be able to make that claim, not knocking the thing in any way just sayin.

You must put into play that the Eheims come with all the media so your not saving that much, granted you could fill it with pot scrubbies but you can't deny Eheim produces top notch media along with the product.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.