The Planted Tank Forum banner

Is $20 for a 50lb bag of pool filter sand too high?

8K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  10gallonplanted 
#1 ·
I live in Chicago and am wondering if this price is the going rate for a 50lb bag of pool filter sand. I went into a small local fish store and I think the guy charges high prices. He also does not have prices on his items (at least decorations) which bothered me. I sort of looked at this as a bad sign.

From my reading it appears that the going rate for pool filter sand is around $10 for a 50lb bag.

I firmly told the owner of this shop that I have seen the going rate to be half of what he is charging and his response was, "Well, if you have it shipped to your house you are going to pay more." He is right as a 50lb bag to ship to me is around $30 (just for shipping alone!).

For those of you that do prefer using this medium, can you tell me the proper size to look for and brand names? I am having trouble finding it in the city.

Perhaps some of you could also recommend brand names? I do not know what brands of filter sand to Google. If I did then maybe I can find their websites and contact them directly to find out where in Chicago I can find their products. I just need more info is all.

Thanks,

Adrien

See less See more
#2 ·
I can get it here in texas at leslie's pool suppy for 12 bucks per 50 lbs. At walmart apparently it's an average of 7 dollars per bag nation wide. Look at walmart and pool shops. They are bound to have it. If not in the store front, on a pallet in the back room (where I found mine) just ask.

#8 ·
Other "non-pool-supply" sources for filter sand you can find locally are Lowes and Home Depot. And don't forget to check "paver sand", another coarse sand in large bags at home improvement stores.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.