The Planted Tank Forum banner

Feedback on my T8 bulb selection please?

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  AdrienDeLaChicago 
#1 ·
So after much research I decided to go with a T8 light setup for my 10 gallon tanks. If my tanks were bigger/longer I would have opted for a T5 bulb since the shortest ones they have are 22 or 24 inches.

So I bought some cheap under mount cabinet light fixtures for $11 each and taped two of them together. I was told that this total of 30" configuration would give me medium light which I am happy with.

So I was hoping that you all could let me know if my bulbs were acceptable. I purchased GE 18" 15 watt bulbs with a 6500K rating at 700 lumens. I bought these at Lowe's. When I arrived I immediately saw bulbs in my size for "Plants and Aquarium" but there was no Kelvin rating. I was curious I called the 800 number and talked to a rep and he told me they were 3100. I told him, "That is too low and not the right lighting for aquatic plants." I then asked him about the GE bulb with the 6500K and he said they would not work with my ballast. I asked him how that was related and he start rattling off some information that went over my head. But I bought some anyway and tried them out and they are working with my fixtures. So just curious what you all thought. Was the rep just being a whiny yahoo and did I do well for myself or what? :icon_lol: By the way the bulbs were under $7 at a reduced price.

Last week I purchased some "aquarium and plant" bulbs by Slyvania and and now I am seeing that they are not nearly as bright and that awful pinkish color was nauseating. Glad to get rid of those. I only had them for a week. I hope to return those tomorrow.

See less See more
#4 ·
Are they GE Daylight bulbs? I use one of them in conjunction with a GE Sunshine bulb for my houseplants. They seem to work very well and they should provide enough light for your tank as long as you don't select plants that require very high light. Also, a lot of people often have better growth using T8 bulbs with different K ratings.

The lumen and Kelvin ratings on bulbs are really a measure of how the lights will be perceived by the human eye, so they don't necessarily pertain to plant growth. For growing plants, the most crucial factor (aside from wattage) is how powerful the bulb is within key ranges of the light spectrum. Bulbs that are good for growing plants should be most powerful in the blue and red areas of the spectrum.

#5 ·
"Snausages!" LOL...I remember those commercials.

Yes, they are the GE Daylight linear fluorescent light bulbs. I am wondering if I should install one of the Gro Lux Slyvania bulbs along with one of the GE Daylight T8 bulbs. Using two 6500K bulbs is really washing out my bettas, I am just starting to notice this. The plants look nice with sort of a cool bluish light. But now my bettas look kinda dull. Even though a "pink" light filled my room all over the walls (kinda barfy for me) it did make my fish appear more colorful.

I was referred to Hoppy's chart for PAR lighting for different types of light and according to his chart two T8 bulbs for a 12" tank provides medium or moderate lighting.

But if I change back to a Gro Lux bulb which has....wait...I am confused. Why are these aquarium bulbs stating they are good for fish and aquatic plants at a Kelvin rating of round 3000 yet so many people on this site are recommending Kelvin ratings of 6500 to 10000? I feel like I am in a loop of conflicting information. I have to say that my fish look rather dull and gray with a 6500K temperature bulb. If someone can point me in the right direction to use the best temperature T8 bulbs for optimal plant growth and to show off my fish I would be very appreciative.

Thanks,
Adrien

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.