The Planted Tank Forum banner

I made my wires and hoses vanish!

7K views 58 replies 31 participants last post by  audioaficionado 
#1 ·
I made my wires and hoses vanish!

I knew I wanted some sort of disguise for the wires and hoses that go down the outside back of the tank. I had an idea of using some sort of electrical conduit or piping, something rigid to keep the line straight with the edge of the tank, but not so rigid that I couldn’t cut it easily. I thought something square would be perfect, but would have gone with round if that’s all I could find. I went to Home Depot and searched the aisles.

What I found was a sort of channel that people use in installing ceiling tiles. It was 8 ft long, very light white plastic, yet rigid. The piece is ¾ of a square tube, if you know what I mean. I zip-tied 2 together, facing one another, to create a square “pipe” which contains my tubes and wires. It lays flat and fairly inconspicuously on the back vertical seams of the tank.

The white material vanishes into the almost white wall behind. Just look! I feel like a magician. Presto! Virtually invisible!

If you need to get in there to adjust of change something, just cut the zip tie and put on a new one when you are through….

Attachments

See less See more
#11 ·
I put a little flag of electrical tape on the ends of all the wires.
I found a package that had several colors of thin tape.
Red = heat
White = light
...and so on.

No need to put the same tag at the equipment end of the cord, just memorize the color code, or write it on a slip of paper inside the stand. Some tanks might have 2 power heads (so 2 blue wires in the power strip) but there is no possibility of mixing up their plugs with a filter (yellow) or air pump (green).

I like that method of keeping the cords and tubes out of sight!

#20 ·
Lookin good, You should start a journal. Id be interested in seeing the progress. Thanks again for the "invisible tubes" idea, Ive always wanted to be a magician. :hihi:

#28 ·
thank you!!! Nope, got it here from Rod Salyers- he has THE BEST driftwood!!
Everything's been growing very slowly and I like it that way, but I agree I definitely need more green. I'd like to get some java fern etc. So far the plants have been donations from friends- I have been a little tight on money- :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.