The Planted Tank Forum banner

Recommendations for canister filters

4K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  ktownhero 
#1 ·
I would like to get a canister filter for my 29 gallon tank.

What some suggestions for low price, good quality canister filters?

I see that they are sorted by the gph and not really by the size tank you have.

What sort of gph should I look for with a 29 gallon tank?

I know to keep my eye out on the SnS, but I have no idea what models I should be looking for. Again good models, low price is key!

#5 ·
I went out and ordered a penn-plax cascade 500 canister filter a few months back for my Christmas present and i love it, it sits in a cabinet under m 20 gallon right beside my bed and it is so quite, it keeps my tank super clean, and it is built like a brick! I would recommend it 100%!
However for the 29 gallon i would get the canister that is stronger then this one i have, so like the 700 or even maybe 1000, i have heard that with the 1000 though, it can be noisy...I don't know if thats true though..

And i payed $100 for my 500 cascade, but in the stats you probably can get it for like $60 or so even though the Canadian $ is worth more now a days...

#19 ·
In case you haven't found the HW-302 on ebay, none of the vendor actually use either "SunSun" or "Perfect" or "HW-302" in the title for the filter, so a search returns zero. Try the phase "external canister power filter 100G" and/or "3 stage canister filter". You're looking for a white colored filter, new, with three baskets and a flow of 264 GPH for about $35-40 before shipping.

Good luck!

#12 ·
Sunsun is great I use it on my tank as well.

I run the bottom tray with pre filter media ceramic rings, then the next two trays are filled with polyfill material. Works great for me. I don't use carbon as it is a planted tank, plus I'm adding discus soon too so no carbon for them lol

#14 ·
Back when I was doing research on this subject I kept seeing information on how carbon can strip things from the water that the plants use. So I just decided why chance it when I don't NEED it. So I don't use it. There are people who use it in planted tanks though.

I guess it is preference.

#20 ·
You could always keep an eye on craigslist for used Eheim filters. I just picked up an Eheim 2215 (used for 4 months) for $50 with everything. Eheim filters are great. They are nearly silent and replacement parts are readily available for them, unlike the Sun Sun which you may have problems finding parts for. I am not trying to knock the Sun Sun, from everything I have read, they are good filters, especially for the price, but I don't know how easily you could get replacement parts if something should go wrong.

#21 ·
You want to be able to cycle the tank volume about three times per hour I believe. So a 29 gal tank needs at least a 90gph flow rate, but I always think more is better. I use two MarineLand 350 Pro systems rated at 350gph on my 55 and my 75 even though the filters are rated around hundred gallon tank. This filter costs 110 and its A-freaking-mazing in my opinion. I am always recommending it, but it seems the common forum consensus is eheim.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.