The Planted Tank Forum banner

I made my wires and hoses vanish!

7K views 58 replies 31 participants last post by  audioaficionado 
#1 ·
I made my wires and hoses vanish!

I knew I wanted some sort of disguise for the wires and hoses that go down the outside back of the tank. I had an idea of using some sort of electrical conduit or piping, something rigid to keep the line straight with the edge of the tank, but not so rigid that I couldn’t cut it easily. I thought something square would be perfect, but would have gone with round if that’s all I could find. I went to Home Depot and searched the aisles.

What I found was a sort of channel that people use in installing ceiling tiles. It was 8 ft long, very light white plastic, yet rigid. The piece is ¾ of a square tube, if you know what I mean. I zip-tied 2 together, facing one another, to create a square “pipe” which contains my tubes and wires. It lays flat and fairly inconspicuously on the back vertical seams of the tank.

The white material vanishes into the almost white wall behind. Just look! I feel like a magician. Presto! Virtually invisible!

If you need to get in there to adjust of change something, just cut the zip tie and put on a new one when you are through….

Attachments

See less See more
#33 ·
As far as small rubber bands, maybe check in a beauty supply store or in the hair aisle of a drug store. I've seen all different sized hair bands that might work. Also check Staples or Office Depot cause I know you get buy different sized rubber bands in different colors.

And there is always velcro! I use velcro for everything!!

#43 ·
Nice hack.. I like it... I wonder if those pieces are paintable...

As far as the yellow probe... use black zipties to attach it to the back of the driftwood.

For the green spraybar... it should be horizontal and tucked up near the top trim and out of site...

For the green intake... well, you're screwed. Heh... you can try Krylon Fusion brand paint... painting it white, or even black will make it less offensive... be sure to use a scotch pad to rough it up a tad before painting... then let it dry at least 24 hours....

#54 ·
Beautiful view!

I couldn't find the channel stuff at my HD but there is cable channel meant to run cables along walls in the electric department so I just bought a 5' length of that. It comes in single wide and a much wider type that looks like it can hold 3 cables. Cost a lot more than the channel stuff unfortunately.

#56 ·
Hi Vancat2
If you want to do away with the zip ties try PVC trunking it normally has a panel or side that snaps on to the c channel part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.