The Planted Tank Forum banner

JerSaint's 36 Gal 1st Planted Tank *Photo Heavy*

17K views 84 replies 21 participants last post by  JerSaint 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All! Thanks for taking a look any feedback is welcome!

I took my retired 36 Gal cichlid tank (some minor scratches on glass<sorry>) and cleaned it up and got ready to go. I got started today and am so excited to share!

I am using the following:

40lbs Eco-Complete Black
20lbs Black Sand
2 pcs Mopani
1 pc Driftwood
Penguin 200 Bio-Wheel Filter
150w Heat Stick (Deep Blue)
55w Power Compact 7000k
*1 Looking for a way to also add on the traditional strip light to up total watts. Advice is appreciated.
Hardscape

Hardscape w/ Substrate

Eco-Complete

Red Clay

Started Planting

Overhead View

Plants Water and Light!

Plants and Structure

See less See more
#3 ·
I just looked at the package and couldn't tell if the clay is natural or synthetic. I didn't add too much as a iron supplement. What are the ramifications if it is synthetic?

#4 · (Edited)
New additions today, plus a little rescape!

Here are a few of the new inhabitants.
2 Bolivian Rams (I think I may have been lucky enough to pick out a male and female!)

9 Cardinal Tetras

2 Sterbai Corydoras (more to come when available)

2 Sparkling Gouramis

#5 ·
New Photos plus a few additions!
New Profile Photo

Side Views

It's a crypt jungle in there!

My Rams colors are filling in!

New growth

Golden Mystery Snails added 12/14/12

Added Water Wisteria as a backdrop and a few more leaves of Java Fern

Sterbai Cory's are beautiful funny fish!

taken without flash

#8 ·
Sky: I think I am liking it so far. I ended up going pretty deep substrate wise. THe sand cap makes planting fairly easy and I added fish pretty quickly after setup. I think the Eco-Complete aided in establishing the tank quickly. I hope to see a lot of growth soon, as the root systems develop in the EC.

Drew: Thanks! I am planning on upping the total number of Cardinals to 11. I am also looking for a nice shoal/school for the top water section. I am thinking either threadfin rainbows or some hatchets.

#9 ·
I say hatchets, cause I think the rams would be a little rowdy for threadfins.
Maybe get some Ottos as well, or bushynose plecos, for algae and detrius control

The mystery snails are nice, but be careful because when they die it is a HUGE amonia spike. I learned that the hard way when I had 12 adult ivories die in unison in a 75.......bad bad times there.

#10 ·
Hi HybridHerp, I didn't think of that with the threadfins. I will likely go with hatchets. Also, great tip on the snails. These are the first I have ever had. I will keep a close eye. It's funny you mention Ottos, I have 5 in QT right now. I will add them Monday. I am about check out your tanks. Thanks for the feedback!

#12 · (Edited)
Thanks Woody! I also have the traditional strip light (adds a softer color) as well. The compact is a 55watt fixture and the strip light ups it 20watts. Total of 75 watts on 36 gallons.

#13 ·
Mini Re-scape added Dwarf Hair Grass from package at Petsmart. New Photos!

Hi All,
A nice little update. I think this will look great in a couple of weeks. I moved a few Crypts and made a nice little area for the Dwarf Hair Grass from Petsmart. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
Before

Moved a nice little Crypt to a new home

Packaged DHG

Out of the package

Clumped up

After

A few Close-ups

I can't wait to watch these grow!
How do you like the placement?

#14 ·
I will take some better photos tonight with my Nikon.

#16 ·
Thanks!

Thanks Alipper! I sent you a reply to the pm you sent, very generous. Thanks!

#17 · (Edited)
New Photos (Nikon quality)

Here are some new photos of my tank from my Nikon.

Main View

Wisteria is growing

Growing and filling in!

New Addition from a friends grow-out!

#18 · (Edited)
Up and running for 1 month!
Newly added are the Argentinian Sword, 5 Serpae Tetra and the 2 Angels!
On to the photos.
New Main photo at 1 month

Side view 1

Side view 2

Fisheye Side

Dwarf Hair grass starting to spread

Moss added (Thanks Alliper)

Anyone know what kind of moss this is?

I hope these clumps will fill in to make a carpet.

Bolivian Ram coloring up!

Angels

Sterbai Cory's

#19 ·
Happy New Year! Have a Great 2013!

#22 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback Adam F. and Mathman!:icon_smil

#23 ·
Serpae

I just got my first decent pic of my Serpae tetras.

#24 ·
This looks like an awesome start! Your fish look happy. Please let us know how that DHG does. I have seen it at Petsmart and may try it myself.

I think that moss on your driftwood is actually Subwassertang. I'm not 100% sure though. Take it out and squeeze it gently, if it feels crunchy kind of like plastic Easter basket bedding it is Subwassertang.:hihi:

-Zach

#25 ·
Thanks Zach! It is certainly Subwassertang then! The DHG is starting to spread. I will let you know how it grows!:icon_lol:

#27 ·
I took all five of my Serpae Tetras back to Petco today. I felt they were too nippy for my Cardinal Tetras. I also picked up 8 Cardinals to take my school up to 12! They will come out of QT, next week. I can't wait to see a them school!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.