Cherry shrimp Birmingham area
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Alabama

Old 05-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
Dolfan
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Cherry shrimp Birmingham area

I'm looking into getting some cherry shrimp and I live in the Birmingham area. Does anyone sell them locally and if so for how much? I've found a few sites like shrimpfarm.com that sell them for relatively cheap, I just worry about shipping them etc. If I could find them locally for the same price I would prefer that.
Semperfish, I've seen you post about having cherry shrimp, where did you get yours?
Anyone know of any local or online stores they recommend for cherry shrimp?

Dolfan
Dolfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
sourgrl
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I know Pet Supplies Plus in Pelham carried them but I'd call ahead to see if they're in stock. They go fast.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
Dolfan
Planted Member

I don't know if I would buy anything from them. I went in there a few weeks ago and they didn't have them, and their tanks looked pretty rough. Most had algae all over the place and many dead fish. I asked them about plants and they said they could order them, but the assistant manager said she wouldn't recommend it as the plants they get are normally pretty bad and that she thinks they have a bad supplier. I go to that Publix a lot so I will keep my eye out though. Maybe they have a good shrimp supplier, thanks for the info Sourgrl.

Dolfan
Old 05-02-2013, 01:16 AM   #4
sourgrl
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Very true, their tanks are in need of some tlc! Aquarium Imports also carries them. Ordering through the s&s section isn't as daunting as one might think. I've found the healthiest shrimp through the forum's members, especially since they're fellow hobbiest and not a business ($$). Our lfs have their shrimp shipped to them so why not just skip the middle man; go through a highly rated member here and have them shipped straight to you. Good luck in your search.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:35 AM   #5
macquisition76
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I got mine from aquabid. The aquarium shop in Huntsville had some a few weeks ago but I don't know if they regularly Carry them. Pretty nuggets but for some reason I had a mass die off each time I bought them but some survived from each purchase.
macquisition76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2013, 03:31 AM   #6
StraightAddicted
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

I got mine from BenderBendingRodrigues, they were great quality and great coloring. Pricing was very fair, just shoot him a PM to see if he has any at the moment. Pretty sure hes in Auburn so not to far.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
SemperFish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I bought mine from the S&S section. I've seen them in Aquarium Imports, however he didn't seem to have too many of them. I have seen them in Petsupermarket in Vestavia Hills. I bought some Amano shrimp there before.
SemperFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #8
Dolfan
Planted Member

Got my cherry shrimp incoming on Thursday hopefully. I found a good deal on aquabid for some painted fire reds, 10 shrimp for only $20. That's usually the price for regular cherry shrimp, so hopefully these will be very brightly colored and a good start to my colony. I plan on building up the shrimp colony to be able to sell some to people locally as well as some plants etc. I also got a good deal from supplies from Msnemoshrimp here on plantedtank. Got some cholla wood and Indian almond leaves as well as a good sample pack of food for them. My 10 gallon is ready to go with plants and a little bit of algae so the new shrimps will be comfy. Thanks for everyones help and info.

On another note, I'm still undecided but I was thinking it would be cool to have a local club for aquarium enthusiasts. There is a reef club I've heard of, but us fresh water peeps need someone to talk with and share ideas etc. If there is some interest, I may start a thread and see if we could have a meeting somewhere to have a drink or something here in the B'ham area. Let me know what you guys think.

Dolfan
Old 05-13-2013, 01:41 AM   #9
Titansfever83
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

check out "All Things Aquatic in Alabama" on Facebook.

They are sort of trying to get a small club going.
Titansfever83 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 04:12 AM   #10
SkyeAU
Algae Grower

Too bad most of that group is around Birmingham....
SkyeAU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #11
Dolfan
Planted Member

I don't do facebook or any of that social media stuff other than forums like this one. Is the "All things aquatic in Alabama" group only on facebook, how could I get involved?

And Hey SkyeAU, the moss is doing great, thanks again.

Dolfan
Old 05-17-2013, 11:36 PM   #12
Titansfever83
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan View Post
I don't do facebook or any of that social media stuff other than forums like this one. Is the "All things aquatic in Alabama" group only on facebook, how could I get involved?

And Hey SkyeAU, the moss is doing great, thanks again.

Dolfan

right now they are facebook only but we are trying to setup a swap meet/club discussion in the next month or so. One club name that has stuck is "AA" Alabama Aquaholics, lol but it's not set in stone. That is one of many things that need to be decided at the first meeting.
Titansfever83 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 11:43 PM   #13
Dolfan
Planted Member

Cool, if you can, keep us posted here on the plantedtank forums, for those of us not on facebook, ok maybe I'm the only one, haha. Maybe start a new thread here on the Alabama sub-forums once you have some more info. Thanks
Old 06-17-2013, 03:24 AM   #14
SkyeAU
Algae Grower

Good to hear it....mine is still growin like a weed...ready to get rid of some more!
SkyeAU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.