The Planted Tank Forum banner

montrealers

13K views 54 replies 23 participants last post by  MaiDoM 
#1 ·
Any montrealers on this site? :) i'm a newb starting out with planted tanks looking to find any free cuttings or bulbs to try my hand at planted tanks.

Thank you all.

#34 ·
Hey guys and gals,

my name's Martin, from Montreal south shore.

Been buying stuff at Aquarius on JT and AZA on tashereau in Brossard.
Bit cheaper at AZA I think but also a bit less choice.
Only had a very few losses.

I'm thinking about using theplantguy.org website to order some different stuff or also driving to Trois-Rivières...

As for Co2, waiting on my atomizer to install it and unsure about where to refill bottles so if anyone can suggest a good place on south shore would be greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year!

#38 ·
Been buying stuff at Aquarius on JT and AZA on tashereau in Brossard.
Bit cheaper at AZA I think but also a bit less choice.
Only had a very few losses.
Would you say that Aza is the place-to-go on the south shore of Montreal? I've been to Tropicazoo in Chambly and this place is a joke, so Safari at the dix30 is pretty much the place I rely on. They have a lot of choice, but they seem expensive.

A small Anubias on an inch of driftwood for 25$, really...? :(

#36 · (Edited)
I heard of a place in st-hubert that refills 5lbs co2 tanks on place within minutes for 10$ but can't remember where it is exactly?

Looking for some HC, willing to pay.
Also accepting donations of baby plants for tryout, only have cabomba to trade atm.

Also looking to buy:
some coryderas sterbai
2 'wild' females ramirezi
couple or group of young kribensis

#37 ·
I did a bit of cleaning up in my tank. I have the following up for grabs if anyone is interested:

- Java fern 'trident', 2-3" rhizome with 5 or 6 leaves, $2 each
- 4x3" floating riccia fluitans mat, 5$
- Cryptocoryne 'mi oya' baby plants, 1$ each. Keep in mind that these are big crypts; the mother-plant is about 18" tall and at least 10" wide.
- Val nana, 0.25$ each

Wallet for size comparison

#39 ·
The Safari in Dix30 has a big selection, but yes they are a bit pricey. There is Aza on Taschereau which didn't have a whole lot of selection plantwise when I went, but did have some unique ones. You would probably have to buy your own driftwood and tie some plants down to it, if you I didn't pay much attention to the fish stock at the time, but they had a lot of tanks and seemed pretty well-maintained. There's a smaller one at the opposite end of Longueuil called Animalerie Aquanimo that I've always been curious about based on their Facebook page, but never had a chance to go check out.

#40 ·
So today I went back to Twit Palace. While they have good pricing on tanks/stand combo, I noticed a lot of dead fishes in the tank and most of the plants were in pretty bad shape. Plus everything else is about as expensive as Safari.

I decided to go see what Aza Aquarium had in store... Oh..My...God, this place is amazing! You can tell they really care about their store, the place where they keep their betta is built-in into the main counter, with a filtration system! I never saw that in any other stores.

They had a vast variety of plants, and in very good shape! Their fish also look nice and from what I've notice they seem to be the cheapest aqua store on the south shore.

I got myself a huge anubias barteri, 5x Salvinia natans, some Java Moss and a Moss Ball. 26$!

GG Aza. You gained a new customer today!!

#44 ·
Almost a year since my last post, I have to say I now only go to Aza on Boulevard Taschereau.

Places I tried:

Aza Aquarium in Brossard: Great prices, well maintained fish tanks, great selection of plants that sell out very quickly when they receive them. By far my favorite place.

Safari Boulevard dix30: Expect a snail invasion if you buy plants from there. Some fish are also mislabelled (ex: pink glofish sold as red danios). Stuff is also a bit pricey. Don't fall for their "discounts" fish tanks or stuff like that, the promo have been there forever.

Tropicazoo in Chambly: Dead fishes in 2/3 of the tanks. They have no idea what they're doing. A quarantaine tank is required if you buy live stock there.

Subaquatique in Beloeil: Very well maintained fish tanks, best looking fish store in the south shore of Montreal in my opinion. That's the only store where I found high tech co2 equipment in stock. Their staff are also well-trained. With Aza Aquariums, this is the only store where I found carpeting plants like dwarf hair grass and dwarf baby tears. Again, they sell otu VERY fast when they have some in stock. Why don't I go this this place more often? Well, because everything is [censored][censored][censored][censored]ING EXPENSIVE! Even more than Safari.

#45 ·
Hey it's me again! Just want to let you guys know about a new store that opened recently in Montreal

They're Aquasense Workshop, located at 5530 St PAtrick Street, Unit #1110. They're a bit hard to find in there, it's a huge building, so make sure you follow the instructions on the wall if you go there!

Their Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aquasenseworkshop

So why am I talking about them? Their prices were awesome and they have soooo many items that you won'T find in any other fish stores! Tons of diffusers, glass stuff, co2 equipment, Tropica, ADA stuff, Saphyre rimless tanks and it goes on an on.

When I went there they had TONS of carpeting plants choices, I was very impressed. And the guy who work there KNOWS what he's talking about, which makes your visit even more pleasant.

It is a MUST go store in my opinion for anyone in this hobby!

#46 ·
Wow maidom thanks for all the great info! I'll definitely check out that aquascaping place, looks really nice.

Anyone know where I can find apistos or GBRs here in Montreal? When I do find GBRs they look poorly, not only in color but in shape. Never seems like good stock and apistos seem impossible to find. Thanks!

#48 ·
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and also from Montreal. One of my friend gave me a 15g tank setup and woke up an old passion. Keep on adjusting it for a better pleasant look with fully natural things. Except a lil no fishing sign. Going for a 90g tank with a custom stand soon and co2 system.

Nice to see that I'm not alone from Montreal on this forum.

Rauglothor

Attachments

#52 ·
I am on the south shore of Montreal.
Just moved so no tank for now except a modified fluvia chi where all fish died and plants are growing back after the move.

Would like to setup a large tank in the basement. Probably a large cube cause I like to see tank from different angles but will see what fit best and what I can find at good price.

Where do you guys purchase your stuff ?
I like the plant guy for the plants but no idea where for fish except reef solution in laval.

#53 ·
Just discovering this thread three years after the last post. Was wondering if all you Montrealers are still around, and if you have new favourite stores. I've been to Aquarius, Aquasense and Aqua Plus. I'm fairly new to the hobby and am always on the lookout for cool stores accessible by STM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.