The Planted Tank Forum banner

small sword plants?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  PlantedRich 
#1 ·
I've got a sword that is putting out small plants along a runner.
Looking for some thoughts on best practice for splitting these off for new plants. Assuming just to clip the heavy runner between plants? Any specifics on how long to wait? Any other details you have to offer?
Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Yup, you'd just need to clip the runner and re-plant the baby. As long as the smaller plant is growing leaves, you should be fine to snip and plant as is.

My Chainswords sent out numerous runners a few months back just like this. I clipped a few and re-positioned them to better fill out the carpet.

#6 ·
They seem to develop a bit different than I expected.
The small plants out near the end of the runner seem to be much further along than those closer to the large plant. Any thoughts on why?
Is it due to the end going back under water while the closer ones tend to stick above water more? Would pulling the stem back down so that more are underwater create more plants sooner? As it grows now the exposed ones normally get too close to the light and heat and lack of humidity tend to make the blossom curl up and fall off. Underwater they seem to put out roots and develop leaves much better.

#9 ·
Since there is room in this tank and the plant seemed willing, I've just bent the stem around to get it to the bottom and put a small rock on the stem. This will hold it down and then I planted the end plantlet to let it root while still having the stem. I have had plants do this before but at this time it feels right to let it do whatever and possibly come out with some plants. Without really knowing it, I have been nudged back into a second tank due to breeding fish. I had stopped but it seemed to be natures way of sucking me back into the game. So now I have a 75 with a tub full of fry growing out and had already moved a pot of red tiger lotus over just to clear some space in this tank. Apparently the sword saw that as an opportunity to spread out and multiply!!! I can go with that and see where it goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.