The Planted Tank Forum banner

What do you think of my rock scapes?

• The first one.

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • The second one.

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Buy more stones, but keep with the "Twin Peaks" theme.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Approach it from a whole different perspective.

Votes: 10 34.5%

ThatGuy's College Dorm Mini M-high tech, planted only, Iwagumi

23K views 50 replies 22 participants last post by  kaytlu 
#1 · (Edited)
Title: "Boulders-Upon-Meadow" (inspired by English village names)

Tank: ADA Mini M (36cm x 20 cm x 22 cm)
Lighting: Archaea Power Compact 27 watt (4 inches above tank)
Filtration: Eheim 2211, ADA Mini Outflow P-1 Lily Pipe, do! Aqua Violet Mini Inflow MV1
CO2: 20oz paintball tank, Archaea Regulator Pro Single Gauge, ADA plastic check valve, cheap glass bubble counter, do! Aqua Music Glass 15D
Substrate: AquaSoil New Amazonia, AquaSoil New Amazonia Powder Type
Hardscape: Sieryu stone (3 pieces)
Flora: Hemianthus callitrichoides
Fauna: none for now, possibly Otocinclus sp., Caridiana multidentata, Caridiana cf. cantonensis var. "crystal red", Danio margaritatus

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Post:

Well, today I got the first part of my order from AFA; but unfortunately it's only the boring stuff. My Mini M, my first ADA tank, is still to come, along with the AS. Because my university allows no pets, I can't keep any fish in it, maybe shrimp if I ask my RA. But not having animals also helps in high tech, as I wouldn't have to worry about gassing fish. Not to mention I have to move the tank back home (20 minutes only) for Christmas break and summer. I am excited to pursue a more aesthetic, Nature-style tank. I'm think HC, with mini pellia in the back maybe. Or I might take some UG from my 20L and start HC there. I have some small pieces of Sieryu, but I also might want to try a different stone, if I can find it. Here's the equipment I have so far:

Already arrived (not pictured):
Zoomed 501 mini canister
20oz PB tank
drop checker (cheapo ebay kind)

Arrived today (pictured):
Archaea Slim-Pro
Archaea pro PB regulator
Do aqua Music Glass, mini 10D
ADA check valve

On it's way (though I don't have any tracking):
Mini M
3L AquaSoil Powder Type

Need to get still:
Aquatic Magic 9mm lily pipes
silicon tubing
bubble counter (?)
stone
plants (ofc)

I read in one post that the Pro led lights don't provide enough... I hope that's not the case, otherwise I'd have to return it for a PC.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
So apparently there's a strike at the docks and I won't be getting my tank and AS for awhile. Oh well, doesn't really matter to me since I won't be needing it for a month.

Lol, you tell me! I won't be using it til September.

#5 ·
Well, this guy at AFA was gracious enough to let me return the light and diffuser for store credit. IDK what I'm going to get for a light. I'm in talks about a V3 pollen diffuser, or I'd just get a regular 15D music glass. We'll see.

I also ordered the lily pipes.

#7 ·
Played around with my stones and came up with two designs of the same theme:

Aqua(rock)scape 1: Smaller stones means more room, but perhaps a bit too much on top? I could always raise them by stacking some rocks underneath.

Aquascape 2: The larger stone gives a much more profound, sharper image. But it also is very large, caved in in the back, and hard to position stably.

I'm adding a poll now, but if you have further suggestions please leave a comment.

Thanks!

#13 ·
Lack of updates due of course to moving into college. Having a great time, but I'm also looking forward to this tank! Don't know if I'll put anything in it, my RA is a little strict and pets aren't allowed. I made an order to ADG to get some items on sale. Not any AS or tanks, since I don't have the capital to spend of future tanks, but some other nice ADA equipment that I wouldn't have bought otherwise. I got Superge, Clean Bottle, a thermometer, Spring Washer small, and a glass top for the Mini M. From AFA I got my light, 27W PC, the garden mat and the 15D music glass. My tank arrived at home yesterday and I'll have it tomorrow. Yay! I think I lost one of my stones so I might have to buy another...

Attachments

#17 ·
That's a bummer about the fish; but they can be a pain to deal with over breaks and transport to/from school. My university dorm rule allowed fish; max one ten gallon tank per roommate. Water changes were a bit of a nightmare in a tiny dorm tho ;) Good luck with your tank and have a great time in school!

As far as your hardscapes; I prefer #1. I like the simplicity without as many little rocks sitting around.

#20 ·
Alright, ladies and gentlemen, things are coming together! Today my parents came with something that felt like a birthday present... my first rimless ADA tank! Have been a huge fan of Amano's work, it's nice to have some of the equipment he stands behind instead of just AquaSoil and few other knick-nacks. That said, unboxing these kinds of items is like Christmas morning. I really understand those seemingly stupid youtube videos. The box weighed 25 lbs, which wasn't bad and I even carried it up the stairs. Getting to the box was easy, a good amount of packaging to protect its precious cargo. Underneath all that packaging was my prize... the coveted Mini M! I carefully cut the straps and removed the cardboard to unleash its glory. Then I promptly put it in its place on my desk and started setting it up. Below is what I have so far. Unfortunately, I lost one of the rocks I was going to use so I'm left trying to find a replacement, oh well. I think I could use some extra AS, and then I'm ready for planting. HC only so far, we'll see as the tank progresses. Also, I got some free stuff (T-shirt, an Aqua Journal, and a 20th Anniversary Pamphlet) because my order came so late.

Attachments

#23 ·
Change of plans and change of scape. I'm thinking about getting a Solar Mini M. The Archaea/Up Aqua light is getting really hot after just an hour of use. Though it is a powerful light in a small space, and the housing is metal. Waiting on more AS, CO2 tube, and HC so that I can start! And I'll have to go to a fish store for some stuff too.

Attachments

#24 · (Edited)
Got the rest of my aquasoil today, that means it's time to finish scaping! I apologize for the glare, I didn't realize that I had to turn the light on. The first step was of course placing the main stone and supporting rocks.

2. (picture 1) First thin layer of regular Amazonia is placed on bottom. Secondary stone is also placed over a supporting one.

3. (picture 2) Powder soil is added, general shape and sloping is achieved using paintbrush (size 14 flat).

4. (picture 3) Third stone is added in right side, pointing up to utilize its triangular shape. More soil added for better shape.

5. (picture 4) Everything finessed to very close to the final product. I'll sleep on it.

The rocks take up more space in person, but I don't know. I want to get started at this point, so I'll probably leave it. Maybe add top swimmers to fill it up? One-plant tank of HC, at least for now. My two working titles are
"Boulder Protruding from a Meadow"
or
"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

Which do you like better?

Attachments

#28 ·
Sorry for the lack of updates, college can be busy! At the end of September I received my HC (a lot for a good price) and have been dry-starting it since while I decided on what I wanted my filtration to look like. Notice the difference in growth between the two pictures. I ended up with an Eheim 2211, ADA P-1 outflow (on sale at ADG), and a do! mini inflow. I spent a bit more money but I'm ending up with better products that I think will last longer and be more satisfying. I'm happy with my light, as it's the same wattage as a Solar Mini, but with good enough asthetics and better price. It's going to be powerful. I hope my CO2 system can keep up, it should work well. Tank will be filled Sunday.

Attachments

#33 ·
Picture: day 1 after flooding, massive pearling.

Day 2 I encountered some filter problems that prevented me from doing CO2 (because I didn't want to inject without flow). I got everything working again, but hopefully the HC won't suffer too much.

Day 3 back to running CO2 at about 1.5-2bps. Music glass works really well. Regulator does too except for the needle valve which is a little finicky. Starting to see health issues with the HC. No melting, but I see some yellowing and browning. It seems to only be on older growth so I'm not too worried. If I keep up with the water changes, CO2 and dosing I should be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.