248K views 471 replies 171 participants last post by  lifeofbrian 
#1 · (Edited)
For higher light, Co2 enriched tank's that are moderately
to heavy planted.

Add o2 to your tank daily, by either air stone or surface
agitation.

Dry Dosing... Use measuring spoon's found at
most department store's in the utensils section, scoop
appropriate amount and toss in the tank, simple as that!

I use to keep an old travel mug under the tank, and
keep fertilizers in large spice bottles, scoop appropriate
amount into cup, dip in tank, stir and serve.
Tsp=Teaspoon

*Dry Dosing Plantex CSM+B...
Converting 1 tablespoon to 250ml H20,
20 ml = 1/4 teaspoon of dry fertilizer.
There are 12 - 1/4 teaspoons dissolved
250ml/12=20.83ml.

20~40gal
50% H20 change-weekly
1/4 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
1/16 Tsp-KH2P04 3x aweek
1/2 Tsp-GH booster once a week
5ml or 1/16Tsp-Trace 3x a week
Optional
1-2ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

"If dosing a 10gal highlight C02 enriched tank,
divide above regime x2"

40~60gal
50% H20 change-weekly
1/2 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
1/8 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week
3/4 Tsp-GH booster once a week
10ml or 1/8Tsp-Trace 3x a week
Optional
2-4ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

60~80gal
50% H20 change-weekly
3/4 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
3/16 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week
1 Tsp-GH booster once a week
15ml 3/16Tsp-Trace 3x a week
Optional
4-8ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

Mixing Trace Element and Iron, Plantex CSM+B,
Fe/Iron Chelate 10%- mix 1Tbsp per 250ml water-
one cap full=5ml

Adding Sodium Bicarb/baking soda:
One teaspoon baking soda will increase the kH of
50 liters of water approx. 13 gallons by 4 degrees.

Algae Issue's?
Increase C02, even if you have to use Flourish Excel,
and decrease the light, raise it up off the tank,
burn it less hour's etc, then re-evaluate the C02.

Clean & prune, all the plant's, manually remove as much
algae as you can, good condition's will slow it's growth,
even stop growth, you will need to remove the remaining
algae by hand...

Make sure you're C02 is at optimal condition's.

GDA: Cause-Too much light, reduce intensity

BBA: Add more C02/ Reduce light intensity and or duration.

BGA: add N03 and 02/oxygen.

Fish gasping? 02 Issue's?
Increase surface movement/splash, for night time/lights out,
decrease for opposite, if having 02 issue's surface
movement/splash is good.
So a simple lift of the spray bar or lily pipe to break the
surface will remedy that.

Good article on Biochemical Oxygen Demand

BOD http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/278839-post41.html

'Fertilizers for sale'

http://www.pfertz.com/

http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/

http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizer.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This chart is to be used "ASSUMING" proper lighting levels are
being met. Without adequate lighting, this chart can't help you.
Check your bulbs and other threads on lighting to re-assure that
you have a proper light set-up for whatever method of aquatic
gardening you wish to achieve.

The Green represents growth, in group 1 we see that plant growth
is hindered because Micro nutrients aren't being met. Although all
other demands are given in plentiful amounts, growth is stunted by
the lacking nutrient.

Group2 is meant to demonstrate low amounts of nutrient balance =
slow growth. Lighting will drive the plants to soak up nutrients to no
end. They take and take depending on the intensity of light with no
real control. If you limit the amount of nutrients you place inside the
water column and substrate, you limit their growth, no matter how
long you run your lights.

Group 3 represents maximum growth given that all nutrients are in
abundance within a level tolerable to other inhabitants. The EI
method ensures that all nutrients are provided within tolerable
amounts to fauna, as well as a bit excess for flora, all excess is
removed with a water change every week.

Credit to Sarge for graph and text.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An example of dosing 3x a week on my 46g tank,
This is what I do.

Sunday-----Day1)Prune,Preen,Clean glass inside, 50% or more H20
change, vac/sub, 1/2Tsp-KN03, 1/8-ish/Tsp-KH2P04,1/8Tsp-K2S04,
clean glass on outside.
Monday-----Day2) 10ml Trace, 2ml-Fe
Tuesday----Day3) 1/2Tsp-KN03, 1/8ish/Tsp-KH2P04,1/8Tsp-K2S04.
Wednesday-Day4) See day2
Thursday---Day5) See day3
Friday------Day6) See day2
Saturday---Day7) Nothing or prune, or walk the dog etc.
Sunday-----Day8) See day1

Thank you cbennet for the handout you made available
to the public during your presentation at a local meeting...Kudo's!
This can either be printed directly off the screen, or
you can drag and drop it to your desktop for printing.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Good stuff...my hand was getting tired too from typing that all the time. The plantex CSM recipe is also important for folks to understand here.

It seems as though most people have been mixing 1 TABLEspoon with 250 ml of water or double that (2 TBS in 500 ml). That may work fine for most. At times I wish I were still in school to "borrow" a little bit of HCl.

Personally, I always end up with a mold in my bottle even though I put it in the fridge so I mix 1/2 TABLE with 250 ml of water and dose DOUBLE the required amount. So....in my 65 g tank I would dose 20 mL a day instead of 10.

#128 ·
Good stuff...
It seems as though most people have been mixing 1 TABLEspoon with 250 ml of water or double that (2 TBS in 500 ml). That may work fine for most. At times I wish I were still in school to "borrow" a little bit of HCl.
You can buy HCl at most home improvement stores. It will be labeled as muriatic acid. the only thing is you are going to end up buying like a gallon of it for 5 dollars or so

#3 ·
Another conversion. In a 1 tablespoon to 250ml, 20 ml = 1/4 teaspoon of fert. (there are 12 - 1/4 teaspoons disolved. 250ml/12=20.83ml
-----
I am currently dosing solutions (one of macros, one of plantex) from white plastic bottles (1/2 and 1/2 containers - I am a coffee addict). I have not kept them refrigerated. Need to refill my macro (ran out this morning), so will look for growth inside tonight.

#6 ·
I have a request. could someone convert the above table for use with the following macro sources? (these items are locally available for myself and many other hobbiests where the greg watson stuff would require s&h charges)

NO3: Green Light
P: Fleet
K: KCl powder / pellets

I know Sulphur is covered by the K2SO4 many use for dosing, but is it necessary to add it to the above items in conjunction with Flourish or TMG, or should "average" tapwater contain enough of sulphur to keep plants happy?

Oqsy

#7 · (Edited)
See here.

EDIT: added NFO and link
Plus character limit yadda

Oqsy said:
I have a request. could someone convert the above table for use with the following macro sources? (these items are locally available for myself and many other hobbiests where the greg watson stuff would require s&h charges)

NO3: Green Light
P: Fleet
K: KCl powder / pellets

I know Sulphur is covered by the K2SO4 many use for dosing, but is it necessary to add it to the above items in conjunction with Flourish or TMG, or should "average" tapwater contain enough of sulphur to keep plants happy?

Oqsy

#11 ·
rrguymon said:
Quick question? On tank 1 you suggest dosing iron in addition to the traces. On tank 2 and 3 you don't? Is there a reason for that?

Rick

Nothing special...I add a shot of iron (2-3 ml) about 2 or 3 times a week for my 65g. So long as you have enough plant biomass, high co2 and relatively high macros, adding more iron will only benefit the plants.

#13 ·
Personally, I always end up with a mold in my bottle even though I put it in the fridge so I mix 1/2 TABLE with 250 ml of water and dose DOUBLE the required amount. So....in my 65 g tank I would dose 20 mL a day instead of 10.
I've never had a mold issue with my CSM mix. It could be because of chlorinated tap water. Chlorine kills mold.

Which leads me to my next thought:

Maybe adding a drop of chlorox to a 250ml bottle of solution would prevent the mold from growing. It wouldn't be detrimental to the fish since the concentrations we add to the tank are so miniscule. Just an idea;Please don't jump on me about how chlorine can kill fish. So can nitrates and we add those to the tank. :tongue:

Marcel

#14 ·
Almost forgot: Great job Craig. Thats 2 awesome posts in one day. :proud:

Marcel

#15 ·
Craig - I'm sure this is kidstuff for all you dry dosers out there, but would you mind posting the levels your recommended doses will raise the levels of a given macro/micro? For instance (I'll show my dry fert ignorance here)...

Tank's (1)
20~40gal
+/-1/4Tsp-KN03 3x a week - raises K by X ppm, N by Y ppm
+/-1/16+Tsp-KH2P04 3x aweek - raises K by X ppm, P by Y ppm
+/-1/16+Tsp K2S04 3x a week - raises K by X ppm
+/-5ml Trace 3x a week - unknown
+/-1-2ml Fe/Iron 3x a week - raises Fe by X ppm

What we are ultimately providing is macros/micros and having a corresponding understanding of the impact of the added would be great - at the very least an understanding of macro/micro uptake rates. Thanks. :icon_bigg

#17 ·
scolley said:
Craig - I'm sure this is kidstuff for all you dry dosers out there, but would you mind posting the levels your recommended doses will raise the levels of a given macro/micro? For instance (I'll show my dry fert ignorance here)...

Tank's (1)
20~40gal

What we are ultimately providing is macros/micros and having a corresponding understanding of the impact of the added would be great - at the very least an understanding of macro/micro uptake rates. Thanks. :icon_bigg

Actually, google the Fertilator (won't provide link since its from another forum). That thing will calculate ppm from dry or wet ferts based on tank size.

Marcel, I may try the drop of chlorine...the wierd thing is I think my tap water is chock full of it already (it smells like a swimming pool and taste's like a$$--ever tried Potomic River water :tongue: ?).

When I was conducting my research I sowed my seeds and grew the seedlings in hydroponic solutions (Rorison's) and we always added about 2 mL of 10% HCl and refrigerated it.

Maybe I got a bad batch of Plantex??? Actually, I don't mind the frequent mixing...the woman calls me the "mad scientist" whenever I break out the graduated cylinder, DI water and some random powder!!

#18 · (Edited)
rrguymon said:
Quick question? On tank 1 you suggest dosing iron in addition to the traces. On tank 2 and 3 you don't? Is there a reason for that?

Rick
Hello Rick, thank's for the question, sorry about that, was just a slight over-sight on my part, I have it edited and fixed now.

When a tank is running good, clean, being dosed as prescribed, plant's are growing well, Iron/Fe is a luxury, not a necessity, although it does add a nice sparkle to the tank/plants, if you do not have iron but feel the need to dose it, just add more Trace :wink:

#20 ·
Georgiadawgger said:
Maybe I got a bad batch of Plantex??? Actually, I don't mind the frequent mixing...the woman calls me the "mad scientist" whenever I break out the graduated cylinder, DI water and some random powder!!
Ed,
Maybe the DI water is what is causing you trouble with you're mix, I use straight tap, in old flourish bottle's and have never had an issue with mold,
I bet if you use tap on you;re next mix it may solve you're issue as well.
I dare ya to try it :wink:

Although I also have an RO/DI unit, thought has never crossed my mind to use it for that, I do however use it for my bubble counter.

#21 ·
Steve,
I have found/read this NFO somewhere along the way at one time or another, I will try to dig it up again, and post it just for you buddy! :proud:
Just so you know, for instance, Fe, is not an easy thing to test for in such small amount's, so, you will be wise in my book, not to get to bound by number's/test kit reading's, I have found that most people that get into trouble with their tank's with algae's of one form or another are relying to much on a number/$10 test kit, while their +/-$1000-Tank/plant's suffer...

Thanks

scolley said:

Tank's (1)
20~40gal

#22 · (Edited)
Thanks Craig. I think you just made a very good, and gentle, point. But to put a sharper point on it, I might rephrase is as "a little knowledge can get you in a lot of trouble". And we all know that's right. So, if I may, I'd like retract the request for the additional info. Here's why...

As a sticky to be used by the dry fert novice, this is a outstanding information tool as it stands now. You're knowledge of good dosing regimens is testified to, for all to see, in your tanks. They are among the very best! So I suspect that the info you are providing here should be taken at face value - just plain followed. For those seeking more knowledge, they can go seek it in places like the Fertilator or Chuck Gadd's mixing calculator, but they do that at the risk of straying from a tried and true path.

No, I think your sticky may best serve the dosing novice audience by keeping the info just as it is now. :proud:

#23 ·
Tank's (3)
For a 60~80gal
50%H20 change
+/-3/4Tsp KN03 3x a week
+/-1/4Tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/-1/8+Tsp K2S04 3x a week
+/-15ml Trace 3x a week
+/-4-8ml Fe/Iron 3x a week

1/4 Tsp Kh2po4 will add 3.46ppm Phosphate to 80 gallon of water, or 4.61ppm to 60 gallon. I think the EI recommended level is 1-3ppm???

#24 ·
Wö£fëñxXx said:
When a tank is running good, clean, being dosed as prescribed, plant's are growing well, Iron/Fe is a luxury, not a necessity, although it does add a nice sparkle to the tank/plants, if you do not have iron but feel the need to dose it, just add more Trace :wink:

Thanks a bunch. I have some extra iron. I think I will give it a try. Great sticky by the way. Great place to start when doesing.

Rick

#25 ·
Oqsy said:
Does anyone have an answer to this? I'm dosing with what I believe to be a pretty darn good translation of the numbers from the first post in my 29, with the sulphur obviously being lower, and the K+ from KCl being a little fuzzy. Is there anything at all to the SO4, or is it just filler and an easy way to get more K+ into solution?

Oqsy

#26 · (Edited)
Thank you Bob,

This why I have the +/- before each amount, for the number conscious individual that need's the crunch... ;)
Those number's are in fact a good starting point, for any individual wanting to get a good feel for dosing the EI on his/her tank within the range's specified.

Dosing precise amount's/tweaking (+/-), based on volume specified within each tank/s size catagory is entirely up to said individual.

Personally I think that the EI recommended number of 1-3 is being modest, even 5ppm P04 is not bad, and the plant's do not seem to mind it either.
I have ran 5+ppm P04 on tank's to see the result's for myself, tested with cheap kit's mind you, but they were accurate enough.
I did not see any adverse effect with a P04 reading of 5ppm, although 2ppm, 3ppm is good, 4ppm or 5ppm, is not bad.
I will do some more testing on this and post result's but my finding's so far are, very clean plant's and tank with an average 3~5ppm P04 while also maintaining a moderate level of KN03, K+ & Trace's, with highlight, C02 injection.

Actually the only downside I found, was being a bit wasteful on the KH2P04 being dosed, and some have high level's of Phosphate in thier tap water, while it is still not recommended to use Phosphate sponges, remover's absorber's, etc.
However I am not recommending people run 5ppm P04 on their tank, the +/- is thier for my protection also :) that is for the individual that feel's the need to tweak his/her tank parameter's, those number's are average dosage's and a good starting point for people.

Maybe Tom will pop in and give his opinion on this also...

BobWu said:
Tank's (3)
For a 60~80gal
50%H20 change
+/-3/4Tsp KN03 3x a week
+/-1/4Tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/-1/8+Tsp K2S04 3x a week
+/-15ml Trace 3x a week
+/-4-8ml Fe/Iron 3x a week

1/4 Tsp Kh2po4 will add 3.46ppm Phosphate to 80 gallon of water, or 4.61ppm to 60 gallon. I think the EI recommended level is 1-3ppm???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.