The Planted Tank Forum banner

Plant bath to kill snails

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Arv 
#1 ·
I was wondering if it would be a no-no to bath my new plants I got from the LFS, which has a huge pond snail problem, in a concentration of Had-A-Snail before rinsing thoroughly and putting in my fish tank. Thing is, is that I have shrimp in my tank. Would it not hurt the shrimp as long as I rinsed the plants good before putting in the tank? Or is this just a bad idea all together? Please let me know if you have any information!

Thanks in advance!

Plants I plan on adding,

Java moss, Java plant, unknown broad leaf plant

#2 ·
Most people treat/dip their plants when they get them. It's a way to keep down on any creepy crawlies.

I've done bleach drips before (1 part bleach 19 parts water). I've never done a potassium permanganate dip. I believe java ferns will melt or die off from bleach dips. Or so I've read.

Maybe someone else will have some insight into them.

-Val

#4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys! I have tried bleach baths before but was hesitant to do so this time around after reading it can be hard on the plants and can stunt growth. As for the potassium permanganate I have heard of it but it seems to be elusive where I live. I guess since the Had-A-Snail is copper based I should be looking for some potassium permanganate tho, especially since everyone who does this sort of thing seems to use the potassium baths.... Thanks for the info tho! Ill be looking for some in the near future.

#7 ·
i've done pot perm dips to swords, java ferns, and anubais. I take a pinch and add slowly until I get a dark dark pink or purple, a little goes a long way. Finish off with 2 buckets dip in plain water first then a bucket with Prime.
I also did a bleach dip on anubais that had black hair algae from the LFS that the weak pot perm mix did not get rid off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.