LFS info in Las Vegas
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Nevada

Old 08-27-2004, 09:35 AM   #1
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

LFS info in Las Vegas

There are 3 places worth going in Las Vegas:

- F.I.S.H at Bruce Street and Charleston. It has quite unique selection of fish including rainbows, real SAE, discus and other fish those not available at Petsmarts or Petcos. Fish aren't cheap here but very good quality and no sick or dead fish at all. Also carries some plants but nothing spectacular. This is my favorite lfs and also has the most knowledgeable staffs.

- Trop Aquarium at east Tropicana. This is where I go to buy tanks. They have all kind of sizes including acrylic tanks. Takes custom orders (stand, canopy with the measurement you want) with different wood choices. Surprisingly, the price is very reasonable. You can even get the custom ones cheaper than Petsmarts.

- Petco at S. Rainbow and Spring mountain. The supervisor at the fish section is quite responsible. All the tanks are well taken care of. Good place to buy common community fish. Equipments are very overpriced like other Petcos.
Eheim Pimp #21 (2) 2028 and auto feeder
ninoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2004, 04:46 AM   #2
Justin
Algae Grower

Send a message via ICQ to Justin Send a message via AIM to Justin

to add to the post-

exotic petstop-Charleston and Lamb they have a decent selection, i have heard bad things about their pets dept, but the fish have a good selection including saltwater and saltwater plants, the tanks are a bit overpriced. but who normally shops for tanks. get almost any pet imaginable.

also i went to F.I.S.H today, great selection, i was surpirsed to see how many salt and freshwater fish they had. thank you ninoboy that was a great store. also the staff seemed knowledgeable as well. they knew practicallly everything if not more about fresh tanks then i did.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:12 PM   #3
scrimp
Algae Grower

Do any shops in Vegas sell shrimp?
scrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:51 AM   #4
i love planted tanks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default yes

yes they sell different types of shrimp at f.i.s.h on charelston and bruce
i love planted tanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:16 PM   #5
BayBoy1205
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

Have any of you heard of Desert Coral Aquatics? http://www.desertcoralaquatics.com/ I ordered a background from them and can't get ahold of them. Still haven't seen my background yet my credit card has been charged.

Thanks,

Matt
BayBoy1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:46 AM   #6
John7429
Sergeant of Marines

PTrader: (95/100%)

I'm going to LV next week. Time to check out the local stores!
John7429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:29 PM   #7
toddg
Algae Grower

Send a message via ICQ to toddg

Anyone have comments or updated lists for LFS in Vegas? I started checking out what I could find this week looking for small plants and shrimp:

Atlantis - Lots of tanks and fish. I went to this store two weeks ago before I knew what I was looking for, but I don't recall them having anything 'small'. Lots of salt water stuff and lots of larger size fish. They were busy at the time and I didn't have time to talk with them about selection.

F.I.S.H. - Lots of fish, one tank with live plants. No shrimp.
Lucky Fin - Lots of salt water tanks/fish. No freshwater plants. No shrimp. They did have the Fluorish Excel in stock which I picked up. A lot more expensive then online, but I'll always try and support local shops that have stuff in stock.

Petsmart/Petco: Vary by location. Haven't gotten to the one at Spring Mtn/Rainbow yet (mentioned in earlier thread). Ghost shrimp at a few locations.

I'll check out Reef Jungle and Trop-Aquarium later this week.

Interesting that many of the small shops in town don't have any type of web site. We don't even have a phone book around, so if I can't find it indexed online, I won't find you! I can see not having online shopping, but it costs almost nothing to get a domain and a single web page up and going.
toddg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #8
nden
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)

At Trop Aquarium, they have some plants, lots of fish, ghost shrimp, and tanks, also some saltwater. They do sell some painted fish, though, I think Straw/Blueberry Tetras. Haven't been to Reef Jungle before.

@toddg: What size tanks does Atlantis carry and how are the prices? Too far away so haven't been there yet.
nden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:07 PM   #9
toddg
Algae Grower

Send a message via ICQ to toddg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nden View Post

@toddg: What size tanks does Atlantis carry and how are the prices? Too far away so haven't been there yet.
I think they only had a few larger size tanks for sale; I wasn't shopping for tanks so didn't check on prices. Most of the two rows of shop space was taken up by their stocked tanks. Gonna stop by there again with the kids just to look around.
toddg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
johnnygstacks
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddg View Post
Anyone have comments or updated lists for LFS in Vegas? I started checking out what I could find this week looking for small plants and shrimp:

Atlantis - Lots of tanks and fish. I went to this store two weeks ago before I knew what I was looking for, but I don't recall them having anything 'small'. Lots of salt water stuff and lots of larger size fish. They were busy at the time and I didn't have time to talk with them about selection.

F.I.S.H. - Lots of fish, one tank with live plants. No shrimp.
Lucky Fin - Lots of salt water tanks/fish. No freshwater plants. No shrimp. They did have the Fluorish Excel in stock which I picked up. A lot more expensive then online, but I'll always try and support local shops that have stuff in stock.

Petsmart/Petco: Vary by location. Haven't gotten to the one at Spring Mtn/Rainbow yet (mentioned in earlier thread). Ghost shrimp at a few locations.

I'll check out Reef Jungle and Trop-Aquarium later this week.

Interesting that many of the small shops in town don't have any type of web site. We don't even have a phone book around, so if I can't find it indexed online, I won't find you! I can see not having online shopping, but it costs almost nothing to get a domain and a single web page up and going.
Lucky is my favorite of any LFS in Vegas (I know the shop is kinda cramped), they will always special order stuff for me, and alot of the time the next day it too.

I like the petland off of sunset in henderson, Only place iv'e ever seen carry gold rams, but the employees are harrassing there
johnnygstacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #11
freakonareef

Check out:

Blue Reef Aquatics

Trop Aquarium

Lucky Tropical

F.I.S.H.

These are the only store I know of besides the chain stores like petco and petmart
freakonareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:41 AM   #12
TeteRouge
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakonareef View Post
Check out:

Blue Reef Aquatics

Trop Aquarium

Lucky Tropical

F.I.S.H.

These are the only store I know of besides the chain stores like petco and petmart
Just an update- F.I.S.H closed a couple of months ago.

Atlantis is ok, but it's erratic. Some plants.

Lucky Tropical still is cramped but gets in some really good stuff sometimes, and they MAY be moving to a larger store. Some plants.

Got Caudopunk and Calvus pairs that are thriving at Trop Aquarium- they have some local breeders, still have a good rep

(updated 6/24/12) Petco at South Rainbow has couple of really good aquarists, one is there weekdays...just finding them there is the trick

Aquatic Empires- mostly reef. Their freshwater isn't much right now. To be fair, they are expanding and moving it to the new area in the store, so they are getting rid of stock, etc. They are authorized dealers for Innovative Marine, so you can drool over the Nuvo Tanks and SkkyeLights. They will order for you, and their prices are in line with what you see on the internet.

Lance's Aquarium- very knowlegable, lifelong hobbiest and store owner. Beautiful stock, but small store and limited freshwater.

Haven't seen ADA in any stores yet.
10g 3x divided Betta planted

Dana

LasVegas.Freshwater.Aquarists

Last edited by TeteRouge; 06-25-2012 at 12:41 AM.. Reason: new info
TeteRouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #13
flipanda
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

any of those stores carry ADA tanks? or if not the tanks what about other ADA supplies?
flipanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:15 AM   #14
texTical
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipanda View Post
any of those stores carry ADA tanks? or if not the tanks what about other ADA supplies?
I usually go to trop aquarium and havent seen any ada tanks. Havent really gone to the others so i cant say one way or another for the others.
texTical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #15
flipanda
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by texTical View Post
I usually go to trop aquarium and havent seen any ada tanks. Havent really gone to the others so i cant say one way or another for the others.
well thanks for the info. im gonna hit up some of these on saturday and see what kind of plants they carry. im just starting up a new tank and would love to support the lfs instead of ordering alot of things online.
flipanda is offline   Reply With Quote