using grocery store bamboo charcoal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
jellie
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Question using grocery store bamboo charcoal

I have bamboo charcoal lying all around my house. I buy them from my local japanese grocery market, 8$ for a package of six 10" sticks, and I use it in my drinking water as well as its other traditional uses. I also get binchotan (white charcoal) and use it to make rice or just for decoration. I don't know the science behind all these charcoals but it does make a hell of a good tea.

So I've lately been throwing these same charcoal sticks (both) into water that I'm 'priming' to use in my planted tanks, basically just speeding the dechlorination of aged water. I didn't want to buy a real primer just yet until I get my fauna (shrimp). I reactivate them after a few days by steaming them and after a few months, i just crumble them into my houseplants. I saw some people using it in their substrate, and some using it in their filter. I have read some of the posts here about bamboo charcoal, about it absorbing fertilizers/medicines... but everything was iffy and people's experiences were mostly faith or rumor based.

It's been a few years since those posts, so does anyone have further experience/knowledge with this stuff? It's pretty much the same as the ADA bamboo charcoal and I see that they're popular in shrimp tanks.