The green monster awakens!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 04-28-2003, 09:26 PM   #1
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

I am beginning to develop algae, as expected. I have quite a few plants, and am going to get more tomorrow. I put in a big bunch of wisteria, cabomba, riccia, java fern, bolbitis, didiplis, egeria, vals, ludwigia and some hairgrass. Those plants are "pearlin' fools"! The algae is starting to get me down though, that and my pH controller (I am recalibrating now).

Here are my parameters:
pH (controller) 7.2
pH (test kit) 7.0
KH 2
GH 6
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0.1
CO2 1 bubble every 2 seconds

Should I just add some more plants and sit tight? Should I do something to raise the KH and then increase the CO2? What is the best way to raise the KH? Should I do a partial water change and add some harder tap water?

Can someone help me out??

Mike
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2003, 09:31 PM   #2
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (0/0%)

What kind of algae are you seeing? And how much? If the plants are recently planted they may still be establishing root systems, how long have they been planted?

I ususally wait a few weeks after planting before I get concerned
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 09:37 PM   #3
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

Right now, there is quite a bit of string algae growing. I had a couple of patches of brown algae, but they quickly disappeared with the addition of CO2.
The plants have been in for a little over a week.

I guess I'll just start to add more plants, the plants I was planning on for the aquascape, and let the fast growers grow.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:42 PM   #4
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (0/0%)

I would wait it out. Sounds like your tanks is establishing balance still and the addition of new plants will help.

What do you have as an agae eating crew?
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 09:52 PM   #5
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

I haven't added any fish or shrimp yet. I wanted to be sure of the CO2 levels before I added anything. I am still not sure of the CO2 levels because I think my controller is a bit wonkey. I recalibrated so I hope that's it. I want to add a few Amano shrimp, but I am not sure since the tank is uncycled. I an thinking of taking the filter floss from my other aquarium and squeezing the dirty floss into the aquarium to get the bacteria going. I did that with the smaller tank when I set it up and it cycled beautifly. No ammonia spike. Nothing!
Old 04-29-2003, 12:19 AM   #6
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

I wouldnt add the Shrimp till you got the tank good and established...go get yourself a handful of ottos and a few of whatever you will be using for bottom feeders (like cory's) just to start workin the gravel and create some good bacteria via fish mulm, it helps

Anyways...My fairly new 56 gallon went through some hard times on algae too but it is going away... be patient and it will all take care of itself.
How long a lighting period you using?
... till the plants really start on the nutrients you could lower the amount of lighting time to help with algae.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:13 AM   #7
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

I just cut the photoperiod down to 7 hours a day. We'll see how that goes. If I get a chance I go out and get 5 or 6 Ottos tomorrow.
I saw the photos of your aquarium Buck, and I will take your advice and hang in there! I will use you as an inspiration (and a cying towel)!
Old 04-29-2003, 01:55 AM   #8
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Ottos are not the best string algae eaters you can get. I would go for SAE or Rosy Barbs first.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 10:11 PM   #9
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

SAEs would be a better choice, however once I put them in, I'll be stuck with them. My girlfriend won't let me get rid of a fish once it's in the aquarium. (I got stuck with some frenetic Zebra Danios that way.) The SAEs would get too big. I will get a dozen Ottos Friday and cross my fingers. I just cleaned the glass in the aquarium and pulled some of the algae from the plants, wood, and rocks. I stirred everything up a bit and am now running a Whisper Diatomagic filter, a birthday present from the aforementioned girlfriend. I'll stir it up a bit again later and let the diatomic, along with my Eheim do their jobs.