NYC aquatic plant club - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 01-30-2010, 03:52 PM   #46
dr.tran
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/98%)

Anybody else coming today? I'm about to cancel the meeting and club due to lack of intrest.

My 29 gal tank

blackworms culture methods
dr.tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #47
leviathan0
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

So did anyone go/anything happen?
leviathan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:24 AM   #48
dr.tran
Planted Tank Guru

Only one person pmed me about going and I decided to cancel until there is more interest. I didn't want tomake a meeting if only 2 people show up

My 29 gal tank

Old 02-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #49
bwahaha

PTrader: (0/0%)

I think we could use a better leader and better location.
bwahaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #50
dr.tran
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwahaha View Post
That or more interest. There are a ton of forum members here that are also from Astoria. So I see nothing wrong with the location.

Each time a ton of people say that they would like to meet but when I ask them to pm me, very very few people do. The reason why I ask for people to pm me is so that I can give potential members my number so that we can meet in person. So far it seems only 2 people wanna do this club besides me.

Also we will be holding meetings in my house or some of my friends houses to show them our fish tanks. I can't just release that information on the forum especially since I don't actually know anyone here. So the first few meetings are actually a screening process so that I or other members can feel comfortable with members coming into our house.

Now if you have problems with my leadership, by all means tell me so I can improve them.

But as I have said, there seems to be alot of interest but when it comes down to seriously doing it, no one wants to meet up. I was inside the coffee shop with my crutches and no one showed up. So I rather not doing anymore meetings until more people want to seriously show up.

My 29 gal tank

Old 02-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #51
dr.tran
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwahaha View Post
Also about the location, it was only for one meeting. We was going to move it all around NYC. Sorry that we couldn't be across the street from you.

My 29 gal tank

Old 02-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #52
leviathan0
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm surprised someone seemingly joined just to bash you.

But anyways, I think people would prefer a more convenient location, at least for the first meeting - seems as many people as there are in Astoria, there's at least an equal number of people who suggested Manhattan. You could also provide a better outline as to what you're planning for the first meeting - what's going to happen, what we'll discuss, how long it'll be, etc. A couple of the other clubs I was in also had a prize raffle during the first meeting - an incentive might help encourage some people to join in. You can also try looking for additional members elsewhere - other plant forums, social networking sites, etc - this forum only has so much after all.

Edit: I just realized I used a lot of dashes in that post - weird, huh?
Old 02-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #53
dr.tran
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by leviathan0 View Post
I'm surprised someone seemingly joined just to bash you.

But anyways, I think people would prefer a more convenient location, at least for the first meeting - seems as many people as there are in Astoria, there's at least an equal number of people who suggested Manhattan. You could also provide a better outline as to what you're planning for the first meeting - what's going to happen, what we'll discuss, how long it'll be, etc. A couple of the other clubs I was in also had a prize raffle during the first meeting - an incentive might help encourage some people to join in. You can also try looking for additional members elsewhere - other plant forums, social networking sites, etc - this forum only has so much after all.

Edit: I just realized I used a lot of dashes in that post - weird, huh?
It never matters how good a person does anything but if they put themselves out there, there will always opposers.

Well if there are equal amounts of people in Astoria and Manhattan, then how about the Astoria people if I move it to Manhattan? There can never be a situation where everyone can be suited but rather to compromise. Its about 15- 20 minutes away from manhattan so I didn't think it would mater as much. Especially since the meetings will be moving around all 5 Boroughs. Not only that but if people are willing to travel to 14 st, brooklyn, chinatown, and even L.I. for pet stores, Astoria shouldn't be that bad.

At first I thought there was enough interest in this forum that I didn't need to pull raffles or other things in order to get people to join. I also didn't want to give all info on the forum which is why I ask people to P.M. me. I wanted to tell them over p.m. or even better in person. As I have always said before, the first meeting is introductory. Just to introduce everyone and discuss about how this club would conduct itself.

Not everyone will then be included into real meetings when we meet over other people's houses. I learn that there are a lot of crazy people out there and its best if I screen through people before making such a decision. Which is why I wanted to reframe from recruiting from places such as craigslist.

I love this forum and I find it the best place for knowledge and a good collection of people which I think would be best for this club. At the same time I didn't want to use the resources of this forum for my own use as a club. So I only wanted to let people know here and find out more info through pm so I can talk to them through messages or on the phone. But at the end of the day, as many people that would like to do this, not many people are actually willing to meet up in person for whatever reason. Until there are more people that are serious about meeting up, no club in NYC neither me or others who lead this can get a good start.

My 29 gal tank

Old 02-06-2010, 09:57 PM   #54
leviathan0
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think at least the first meeting should conform to the majority rather than a few, and there's probably more Astorians willing to travel to Manhattan than non-Astorians willing to travel to Astoria. Otherwise you could just make the argument for holding it anywhere - Brooklyn, Chinatown, etc.

And I do think people are serious about meeting up - I know some people here or on other forums attend BAS meetings, and I've met a few via other clubs and startups. But the thing is, it just seems like you're giving people more reasons not to join than you are reasons to join.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:24 PM   #55
dr.tran
Planted Tank Guru

Thats the thing I know that the majority from what i seen is in queens. Then there is another large group in Astoria. There is a nice amount in outside of queens but through the last 2 years of being in this forum and meeting people here, only one person was from manhattan. While there has been a bunch in Astoria, sunnyside, jamacia, or ozone park. I meet more people in Brighton beach in brookylyn than manhattan.

Although that is not an accurate measure of forum members to where they live, I still have not seen many manhattan people here.

Unforuantley I had to postpone this twice. But what reasons have I given to not join aside from the location. I only wanted to form a club where we could trade plants and livestock. Maybe visit the NYC pet shops and show how u can get some new pants from some of the botonist in the area. This is what would have been discussed during the introductory meeting.

Maybe next time if we can get more people who are serious about meeting up.

My 29 gal tank

Old 02-06-2010, 11:22 PM   #56
leviathan0
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I say Manhattan as in it's a place where it's convenient for most people to meet up, rather than a place where the majority of potential members live. I'm sure this is what others have meant as well. You're probably right about where fishkeepers live though, I've only met a handful living in Manhattan. The majority seems to be shared between Brooklyn and Queens.

As for other reasons, I've found that the first meeting, despite being promoted as something that's introductory and perhaps casual, seems incredibly private, stingy and mysterious, due to the lack of solid information on what's going down, and that we have to talk to you via PM. It just seems really "closed" compared to the openness of other clubs. I can certainly understand the privacy needed when visiting another person's home, but it hasn't come to that yet, and even then it can be handled as "off the record" meetings.

And the other thing is, from my own observations and the musings of others, it just seems like you don't exactly have a good track record at this. Obviously, I don't know you and perhaps I shouldn't be listening to others, but the fact that this thought lingers in the back of my head sorta amplifies the reasons not to go.

That's just me though. For all I know, other people have entirely different reasons as to why they didn't come.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:12 AM   #57
dr.tran
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by leviathan0 View Post
I say Manhattan as in it's a place where it's convenient for most people to meet up, rather than a place where the majority of potential members live. I'm sure this is what others have meant as well. You're probably right about where fishkeepers live though, I've only met a handful living in Manhattan. The majority seems to be shared between Brooklyn and Queens.

As for other reasons, I've found that the first meeting, despite being promoted as something that's introductory and perhaps casual, seems incredibly private, stingy and mysterious, due to the lack of solid information on what's going down, and that we have to talk to you via PM. It just seems really "closed" compared to the openness of other clubs. I can certainly understand the privacy needed when visiting another person's home, but it hasn't come to that yet, and even then it can be handled as "off the record" meetings.

And the other thing is, from my own observations and the musings of others, it just seems like you don't exactly have a good track record at this. Obviously, I don't know you and perhaps I shouldn't be listening to others, but the fact that this thought lingers in the back of my head sorta amplifies the reasons not to go.

That's just me though. For all I know, other people have entirely different reasons as to why they didn't come.
Point taken. I choose Astoria because of the ease to get there regardless of if you are in queens or Manhattan. Especially since most people are already in Astoria.

I'm sorry if it came out as being secretive but that is because of a few privacy issues. Such as people need to know my number in order to find out who I am when we get to starbucks. So I don't want to post my number right here on the forum. And I don't understand? Sending me a PM is very easy and I could explain all your questions easily there.

I mostly didn't want to post anything directly here because I didn't want just anyone to show up. Its not just forum members that can see these pages, anyone can. In the past I learn that is really not a good idea, there are truly some crazy people out there.

My track record? I've been coming less to this forum for the last year or so due to health reasons. As unfortunate as it was, it was a one time thing.

Now if you choose not to come, that is absolutely fine and that is your choice. I won't be making a full all out public club anymore unless there is some true interest again.

My 29 gal tank

Old 02-07-2010, 02:36 PM   #58
lildark185
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I agree with the whole secrecy via PM for meeting details. This is the exact reason why there should be a neutral public meeting place for the first several meetings. If a meeting place is decided well in advance (two to three weeks maybe even a month), it gives people who don't frequent this part of the site a chance to save the date. A post to the thread for confirmation of attendance will let everyone gauge how many people are actually going. If everyone were to PM you, others who are on the fence about coming due to what they perceive as lack of interest would not come.
As for traveling anytime soon, isn't there track work on the 7 line for the next several weekends which would hamper any plans?
lildark185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:35 PM   #59
xev11
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

I just want to put this out there. I live in Manhattan and would likely attend a meeting in Manhattan.
xev11 is online now   Reply With Quote