Sumping a 29G
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-28-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
insta
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Question

Sumping a 29G

I have a 29G tank that I'm setting up for the first time. I currently have a HOB biowheel, 100W heater, CO2 reactor, UV sterilizer, that really make the tank ugly. I'm thinking the solution to this is a sump underneath the main tank, but I'm missing a few parts.

I currently have a 10G spare tank and big fat submersible water pump. It is more than strong enough to push a 1/2" column of water nearly 4 feet in the air. My understanding is that with a sump, you're supposed to baffle the tank and fill each section with a respective part, be it a heater, peat, floss, whatever.

The parts I'm missing -- how do you get the water out of the main tank? I don't want to drill into my glass, and it seems like if I set up a siphon, I'd end up with a very wet floor. Is a sump the "holy grail" of aquaria, or should I just deal with a messy wall along the back?
insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

10g tanks really don't offer much room for sumps. A canister might be a better option. I really like sumps, but find 30 to 40 gallon tanks are necessary. A 10g tank could really only run with 4-5 gallons of water in it, and wouldn't offer much space for cushion from overflow.

You would use a siphon, that is how it is done. Sumps need to be tweaked a bit to not lose co2(if injected) in planted tanks.
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
atwater

PTrader: (0/0%)

A sump in SW application does help in hiding equipment that would otherwise be in your display tank. For FW I am sure it is the same idea but I have never seen a FW tank with a sump. I may be wrong but thats my personal experience.
Baffles are used for slowing down the water movement and also to help reduce micro bubbles that would come from the overflow of water from the main tank.
TO get water to your sump from your main tank I would get a external overflow box and gravity would do the rest but make sure you put a check valve below the overflow box just in case.
atwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
Firestarter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

You really need a way to keep the water going back to the sump just as quick as it goes into the tank. Thought about this once but only way I though about was doing a siphon is having some sort of float valve that would turn off the pump in the event the tank water got too high and turning off the siphon if the sump gets too high. But regulating the siphon with the pump and all the variables seems like too much to deal with. Unless I could seal everything inside some sort of container that cant be overflown and put all your stuff in there I would not feel safe. Once things get out of balance even with float valves you will have stuff turning on and off repeatedly until you resolve the issue. A slightly clogged stainer and everything goes crazy.
Aquariums should smell like a pond. Just like where the fish come from.
Pimp #6 - Magnum 350
Firestarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
Firestarter
Planted Member

Do you have pictures of the equipment. Maybe a canister filter with heater built in then you could make your UV inline with the canister and also the CO2 reactor inline with the canister. I like the idea of a sump but prefer to not flirt with disaster.
Aquariums should smell like a pond. Just like where the fish come from.
Pimp #6 - Magnum 350
Firestarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
tyler79durdan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You could get a hang on back overflow box, and never have to worry about a wet floor. People who want to use wet/drys and dont have drilled tanks, must use an overflow box. Try eshopps brand! BTW you will only need a single for 29G. Double is overkill for sure!
tyler79durdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
insta
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Man you guys are faster than whoa.

I don't know why a sump wouldn't be ideal for me, since I have all the parts I'd already want except the overflow box. It does surprise me that an overflow box is so expensive -- I can buy a whole HOB filter and remove the impeller for that price! Actually, I might do that ... I do have a HOB filter that is broken in some manner. It'd let me move the actual serious HOB with the biowheel down to the sump as well as everything else. I really do have a lot of equipment and none of it integrates very cleanly.
insta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sump