Pickle Jar Nightlight Pico - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 09-15-2009, 04:28 AM   #16
aelysa
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
... and used some kind of metal stapled thing to peice together the circle and somehow put the night light in the back part of the tank...
This is my favorite part of the story

My husband was super against the pickle jar at first, because really, it's ghetto. However, I know Gwen has the "sickness" and can truly appreciate that mommy made a tank for her. And hopefully in twenty years she can be on a forum saying something like ... "and she forced my dad to drill holes in the top of the pickle jar for the airline tubing..."
aelysa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2009, 05:55 AM   #17
FBG
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

now this is a good representation of doing with what you have...I mean...isn't an aquarium better than a nightlight? I'd take one of those over a cheaply made nightlight any day. nicely done!
FBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:07 AM   #18
RianS
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

This is so cool. At first i read the title thinking it was a new type of pleco (my eyes are bad). Instead it's even better, a new type of nightlight. I might actually make one.
RianS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:33 AM   #19
trigun808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

sup ryan and yeah dude i saw this and was like this is something different! hahaa its really nice
btw how are your tanks man?
trigun808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #20
aelysa
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Unfortunately the pickle jar has been retired this week.

Design Flaws:
The hole in the lid for airline tubing was rusting due to the water bubbling up from the sponge filter. Should have sealed it with silicone or clear nail
polish.

LED lights failed this week due to humidity and getting into the casing - from the same "water from the bubbler" effect.

I think next time I would have used a smaller sponge filter. The one I was using was for a 20 gallon so the uptake tube was really high - splashing water on the lid and LED lights. I think the little ones only have two inches or so of uptake tube.
But the tank was good enough to breed CRS, I got one batch of babies from it and two berried ones right now just about to pop. However all almost all of my tiger shrimp in there died, possibly from the warm water from the light being on all the time.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:11 PM   #21
AlexXx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

so awesome GREAT idea!
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:40 PM   #22
TLE041
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelysa View Post
...all almost all of my tiger shrimp in there died, possibly from the warm water from the light being on all the time.
Whaaaaatttt?

I know the main purpose of this tank for you was as a nightlight (greeeeaattt idea ), but I would have put the lights on a timer so that both the plants and shrimp have a proper night cycle. Also, did you never bother to measure the water temp the entire time you had it?

The shrimps unfairly died for something that is so easily avoidable IMO. No offense, but this project reeks of the betta in a vase monstrosity.
TLE041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:57 PM   #23
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

thats really cool... great idea...
F22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:19 PM   #24
Tuiflies
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Why not try again but make it a NPT? (soil under the gravel, no filter, appropriate plants, see http://naturalaquariums.com/bb/)

I'm in the process of making two ATM. Just waiting for the plants and shrimp to arrive. I'm going to leave mine open and put it under a table lamp, but if you still want to make it a night light you could pick up a cheap desk lamp. If evaporations that big of an issue you could always cover it with clear plastic.
Tuiflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:04 AM   #25
aelysa
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE041 View Post
Whaaaaatttt?

I know the main purpose of this tank for you was as a nightlight (greeeeaattt idea ), but I would have put the lights on a timer so that both the plants and shrimp have a proper night cycle. Also, did you never bother to measure the water temp the entire time you had it?

The shrimps unfairly died for something that is so easily avoidable IMO. No offense, but this project reeks of the betta in a vase monstrosity.
Trust me, there could have been worse things. There was plenty of shade within the jar between and behind the rocks and moss if they needed a nap. The water temperature was an even 76 the whole time due to the bathroom being an interior room and the LED light offputting a minimal amount of heat.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:07 AM   #26
aelysa
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuiflies View Post
Why not try again but make it a NPT? (soil under the gravel, no filter, appropriate plants, see http://naturalaquariums.com/bb/)

I'm in the process of making two ATM. Just waiting for the plants and shrimp to arrive. I'm going to leave mine open and put it under a table lamp, but if you still want to make it a night light you could pick up a cheap desk lamp. If evaporations that big of an issue you could always cover it with clear plastic.
I was considering it, but I had fussy shrimp in there. I think if I had cherries I would have gone that route
Old 01-24-2010, 02:30 AM   #27
Burks
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Very nice! I might do something like that as a nice desk light instead of my old (probably 50 year old) light and shade. Be a little.....different!

Great job. I bet your daughter loves it.
Filstar Pimp #84
Burks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:59 AM   #28
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE041 View Post
Whaaaaatttt?

Welcome to TPT. I see you have 8 posts. Good job on making yourself well known so quick.
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #29
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

What about not using any substrate and lighting it from under the jar? You'd need to build a stand of some sort of course.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:42 PM   #30
AlexXx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I wish i liked pickles and had some counter space haha

looks GREAT.
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jar, lamp, pickle, pico