cichlid tank - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-13-2010, 03:39 AM   #16
Frogmanx82
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I think I might have been a bit hard on you. It is quite natural to assume at first that the store would give you good advice and that they would educate you on your purchases. I would say most LFS are better than what you experienced. Most LFS would warn an obvious newbie that african cichlids are not your run of the mill tropical fish. To not even tell you that it was an african cichlid that you bought is pretty bad.

A good LFS will try to size up a new customer and find out what tanks and experience they have before selling them anything.

55 gallon 2 wpg planted dosing excel with guppies, and shrimp
90 gallon mixed reef with clowns, gobies, and cardinals
150 gallon african cichlid tank with clown loaches
Frogmanx82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2010, 05:40 AM   #17
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmanx82 View Post
I think I might have been a bit hard on you. It is quite natural to assume at first that the store would give you good advice and that they would educate you on your purchases. I would say most LFS are better than what you experienced. Most LFS would warn an obvious newbie that african cichlids are not your run of the mill tropical fish. To not even tell you that it was an african cichlid that you bought is pretty bad.

A good LFS will try to size up a new customer and find out what tanks and experience they have before selling them anything.
totally true, we won't sell lace plants or anything exotic to a first time plant tanker.. It isn't our store policy but we kinda do it anyway... this way people don't get discouraged in the hobby.
F22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:44 AM   #18
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F22 View Post
totally true, we won't sell lace plants or anything exotic to a first time plant tanker.. It isn't our store policy but we kinda do it anyway... this way people don't get discouraged in the hobby.
On the other end I have petsmart employees try to tell me mixes won't work, etc, when they have been proven to work. ALl while they have a 72g bowfront display marked(this tank is fully stocked with compatible fish) that has 3 oscars, a JD, Midas, and several other dither fish.

I think the reality is that most people that work in pet stores do it just for a job. They are often young and inexperienced, and move along by the time they have any knowledge--primarily because most pet stores can't afford to pay a competitive wage.
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cichlid, disease, p.h., plant