Setting up a 40 Gallon Breeder!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 12-15-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
Chasintrades
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

Setting up a 40 Gallon Breeder!

Hello NYC & Long Island! I am about to set up my first planted tank! I cannot wait to get started... although I am waiting on a few last items (stand, ferts and drop checker) before I can put some water in it. Really once the stand and my order from the elusive Rex Grigg arrives, I will set it up.

I have reading and reading and reading some more. I almost cannot wait for my first outbreak of ALGAE!!

If anyone has any advice for me, it is greatly appreciated. Here is the link of my gathering of items so far...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...heck-list.html

I am so excited to finally turn this into a journal.

I expect to have everything by the New Year (unless Rex has other ideas on shipping my reactor).

I am wondering if it would be possible to either buy some plants from local NYC and Long Island people or even receive some ROAK fast growing plants so I can cycle? Again, this will not be fore a few more weeks. Any help would be welcomed and appreciated.
Chasintrades is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
angelicodin
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to angelicodin Send a message via MSN to angelicodin Send a message via Yahoo to angelicodin Send a message via Skype™ to angelicodin

Not from the NYC area(other side of the country in fact) but while I'm also just starting mine up, I was recommended any quick growing stem plants and it's seeming to help quite a bit. Also remember that you want to have a good lighting/rest cycle, this is often, it seems, to be a mistake of new planted owners and leave the lights on for way too long. Hope this helps.
EHEIM pimp club member #390
25 Gallon - Mizu Niwa (Garden of Water)
PHP Code:
<? if(function_tank($tank)){ function_fix($water) } ; ?>
angelicodin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
elihanover
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to elihanover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasintrades View Post
Hello NYC & Long Island! I am about to set up my first planted tank! I cannot wait to get started... although I am waiting on a few last items (stand, ferts and drop checker) before I can put some water in it. Really once the stand and my order from the elusive Rex Grigg arrives, I will set it up.

I have reading and reading and reading some more. I almost cannot wait for my first outbreak of ALGAE!!

If anyone has any advice for me, it is greatly appreciated. Here is the link of my gathering of items so far...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...heck-list.html

I am so excited to finally turn this into a journal.

I expect to have everything by the New Year (unless Rex has other ideas on shipping my reactor).

I am wondering if it would be possible to either buy some plants from local NYC and Long Island people or even receive some ROAK fast growing plants so I can cycle? Again, this will not be fore a few more weeks. Any help would be welcomed and appreciated.

If you're impatient like me, Biospira cycles your tank very quickly. You can get it at Uptown Birds on 86th and Amsterdam or New World Aquarium on 38th and 3rd. I'm not sure about the other NYC stores. I do know that both of locations I listed are overpriced, but I guess convenience and impatience costs. Good luck!

10 Gallon - Redux
elihanover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 02:19 AM   #4
lildark185
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default Plants

Hey fellow NYer. I have some myriphyllum to help kick off your tank if you're interested. Where is your office?
lildark185 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
Chasintrades
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

Thanks lildark, That is awesome! As soon as my reactor comes from Rex, I will hit you up, I really appreciate it! I hope to return the favor one day!!

My office is 27th and 6th. But I have a car and or a metro card! So willing to travel.
Chasintrades is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2009, 02:58 AM   #6
lildark185
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

My girlfriend's office is on 23rd and 6th so we can probably meet up whenever you're ready.
lildark185 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.