500g CO2 bottle: how long should it last?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 04-15-2003, 07:30 PM   #1
pcspinheiro
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi guys!

I was thinking on going pressurized and I even got a used old 10Kg bottle. I went today to a local distributor inquiring if the bottle was abble to be filled with CO2 and they said "maybe, but you have to do a hydraulic test on it, which costs €75 + filling which costs €40"

Is this crazy or what??? I've been seeing arround here people buying full bottles for much less. In Portugal it is so expensive!!!

Then I would need regulator, needle valve and tubing... another €100 easy.

So I was considering on buying over the internet a 500g bottle and a kit with all the rest (regulator, needle valve, CO2 tubing, reactor, buble counter, non-return valve). All this would be €125.

bottle:

kit:

"The BioPlast CO²-ProfiStar-Set consist of a CO²-reactor, a pressure reducer with rapture disc for extra safety and a needle valve for fine setting of the required CO² bubbles. To archieve an optimum diffusion of CO2 and the most economical running of the appliance, the pressure reactor is fitted with a regulator tap for the water flow.

Contents:
-Regulator with gauges for working pressure and bottle pressure (Fits all CO² bottles)
-Fine-needle-valve
-CO² pressure reactor
-Non-return-valve
-Suction cups
-1,5 m CO² hose
-bubble counter"

However I must know how long does a bottle like this usually lasts you guys that own one like it.

I remember seing a topic like this somewhere but can't find it. And I also know it depends A LOT on the bubble rate, but I would like to have a rough estimate so as to know how often I would need a refill.

Thanks,

Paulo Pinheiro
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2003, 07:35 PM   #2
cousin it
Planted Member

Send a message via MSN to cousin it

I have exactly that co2 system on my main tank and I have to say that I love it. I have been using it for 7 years without any problems.
I get about 4mths out of one of those refils on my 55 running it at 30mg/l
cousin it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 08:23 AM   #3
pcspinheiro
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply cousin it!

Are you also using the reactor that comes with the kit? How does it work? Is it an internal reactor or does it sit outside the aquarium?

I really can't figure it out... and it would be nice to know. Also, do you have problems refilling or is the tank outlet standard size?

Thanks,

Paulo Pinheiro
Old 04-16-2003, 08:47 AM   #4
cousin it
Planted Member

I am using the supplied reactor which fits inside the tank, I use an eheim powerhead to run mine.
I have no problems getting my tank refilled as the shop where I originally purchased it from do an exchange system where they send the empty tanks back to the supplier to be tested and refilled and they carry a spare one in stock for me to take home.
but the tank outlet looks fairly standard to me.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:06 PM   #5
pcspinheiro
Algae Grower

Cousin it, sorry to bother once again but do you have your setup on a solenoide that shuts at night or is it on 24/7? I can get a solenoide for 45 € and if it gets me 6-7 months of CO2 without refilling it would be well worth the money.

Thanks,

Paulo
Old 04-22-2003, 11:57 PM   #6
cousin it
Planted Member

I use a solenoid with my system which is timed to the lights.