Nano Tank Advice
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 10-09-2004, 09:00 AM   #1
Inzeos
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Inzeos

Nano Tank Advice

Looking to start up a nano tank for my desk in my office. Hoping to keep it to < 2.5g as it'll be trips up the stairs for water changes (no plumbing on the 3rd floor).

Are their certain tanks that seem to work better for small sized planted settings? I'm hoping to use a few bits of driftwood frags, a handful of cherry shrimp, a cory and possible one or two small color fish. Neons?

Leif
Inzeos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2004, 07:09 PM   #2
XJBaylor
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzeos
Looking to start up a nano tank for my desk in my office. Hoping to keep it to < 2.5g as it'll be trips up the stairs for water changes (no plumbing on the 3rd floor).

Are their certain tanks that seem to work better for small sized planted settings? I'm hoping to use a few bits of driftwood frags, a handful of cherry shrimp, a cory and possible one or two small color fish. Neons?

Leif
Any quality tank should work just fine. Any of the AGA tanks that the big box stores sell would work great. They also make a Minibow that would be perfect, and looks pretty good, at least in black. Eclipse makes a 3 gallon that would be your best bet, assuming that you do not place a high priority on plant growth. It looks ok, and is self contained, so everything is under the hood and you might get away with just on cord leaving the tank. With a tank that size i might just do the shrimp and pygmy cories, possibly a trio of Endler's or something, but your options are pretty limited. Good luck.

Keith
XJBaylor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2004, 08:00 PM   #3
Inzeos
Algae Grower

I'm guessing moderate light plants would work best in a tank that size? Not too much to much room for them to grow.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:57 AM   #4
trenac
Wannabe Guru

I would stay with low light plants for a Eclipse setup. You could try a Crypt (bronze & green Wendth) or two and tie some Java Fern to a small piece of driftwood. I would stay away from stem plants because you will have to do a lot of pruning.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:25 PM   #5
Aphyosemion
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion

Actually, I have a JBJ desktop tank that is a rectangular 1 gallon and comes with a 12w compact flourescent light that sits above it on a little telescoping tower. I got it here locally at A World of Fish in Richfield, MN, but I imagine you could order one online. It is perfect for the desktop because it is easy to set up and quick to take down when you get that unexpected layoff notice. I keep a wall of baby's tears, mayaca, and Rotala Wallachi in the rear half of the tank and very small pieces of petrified wood in the foreground for lack of a small enough foreground plant. If you add an Azoo Palm Filter, you can keep a couple small fish and some shrimp without worrying about water quality. I keep 3 neons and 3 Amano shrimp in there and it seems to work great.
Aphyosemion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2004, 05:23 PM   #6
Inzeos
Algae Grower

Do you have a picture of your tank?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.