DIY CO2 Forced Reactor, I think...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 11-11-2009, 01:58 AM   #1
th08tu
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

DIY CO2 Forced Reactor, I think...

Hey everybody,
I am new here and looking to set up my 20 gallon from an aquarium with fish and a few plants, to a planted tank with a few fish. Anyways, I have a few questions about my setup so far as I am looking to do it right so here goes.

The tank is a twenty gallon tall, with 2 inchs of first layer latralite (I think thats how you spell it), with an inch of gravel on top of that.

I have a 15 W Fluora-glo bulb, which I was told by the LFS would be great, however I am sceptical.

I have filters with twice the amount of filtration need for the tank. i.e. 40 gallon filters for the twenty gallons.

Lastly I have a DIY CO2 setup with my attempt at a forced reactor which I included below.

Anyways any comments, ideas, and next steps would be great help! I have had the tank running for over 6 months and there are a few fish in it as long with a few plants. I would like to get these plants growing well before I start designing and spending money on more plants. I am not a beginner at fish keeping, however I am a beginner at the plants. I have done a lot of research so I think I know the basics pretty well. My main concerns with my setup right now are whether or no there is sufficient light, and whether my reactor is going to work. Thanks everybody!
th08tu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2009, 02:38 AM   #2
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Nothing attached, that I can see. Should there be a photo, a sketch, etc?
Old 11-11-2009, 03:16 AM   #3
th08tu
Algae Grower

oops sorry i thought i attached it let me try again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reactor.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	16234  

Old 11-11-2009, 05:02 PM   #4
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

I assume this would fit inside the tank, underwater? What would the sand do for you?
Old 11-12-2009, 12:09 AM   #5
th08tu
Algae Grower

yes everything is underwater. The Sand and filter floss is there to slow down water flow inside of the cylinder, therefore creating a small pressure which would help mix the co2 before the water exits the holes in the bottom.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:00 AM   #6
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

When you put a back pressure on a powerhead output the output tends to approach zero. Those little pumps are not generally made to produce any head pressure.

Have you seen the "Barr Internal Venturi Reactor", which is made from a powerhead and a small plastic cylinder? I think it would work great for you as it did for me. I'm not as sure this design will work well.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
th08tu
Algae Grower

Ok i took a look at it. Thanks for you help. Do you think it is important for the powerhead output to be at the side versus on top?
Old 11-13-2009, 03:49 AM   #8
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

When I used a Barr Internal Venturi reactor I spent a lot of time watching it, as anyone else would, and I noticed that it worked the best for me when the powerhead output created a vortex in the center of the "viewtainer". Then the big bubbles stayed in the reactor to break down into little bubbles or get dissolved, and only tiny bubbles escaped out the bottom to give me some very effective CO2 mist. You get that vortex consistently with the powerhead output on the side, but not with it in the top. That reactor design is still the most effective one I ever used.