New to this..
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 09-07-2004, 02:29 PM   #1
Mavvy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New to this..

I've been lurking for some time, and thought I'd share a little. I obtained a 2.5 gallon from a nearby chain LFS several months ago, built a UGF for it (using the eggcrate-type stuff for overhead lights from Lowes, a Rio 90 pump, and an upflow tube that I had lying around) and used 'standard' gravel. It was great for a betta and two tetras, cycled pretty quickly, and then...I got bored. So, I said "Self (which is what I call myself when I'm talking to myself), why don't you try doing a mini-planted tank?"

And I did. Used the same gravel (what a pain) because I didn't want to take out the working filtration, and a 13-watt PC (labeled 'Top Aquarium Series) and put on a micro-sword (I think), an apoge...apogen..whatever that little lily-bulb thing is; a banana lily, and a piece of Cabomba trimming from one of my bigger tanks. Had to prune ferociously for about two weeks before I could get both lilies to go more compact, but I do believe I've reached close to what I want. (And Bubba the Betta is happy. The two neons are in my 29-gallon tank.) Here's a pic (the Rio on the right tends to put the tank in perspective):

I've also found a little hex tank, used, for $3 at a local lfs. Used a 10-watt 65K screw-in fluorescent bulb to replace the incandescent that was there, a RedSea mini HOD with some floss for the media, Schultz Aquatic Plant soil (worked great). I did a fishless cycle (took two weeks). It's now home to two baby black mollys (Mama Molly finally let go-but that's another story) named Ben and Jerry:

Bear with me if I didn't upload the pics correctly.
Mavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2004, 04:12 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (170/100%)

Hi Mavvy, welcome to the Planted Tank!

Can't see the pictures, but it sounds like you are having fun! See if you can post the pics differently, planted 2.5 gal tanks are definitely on the smaller end of the scale, not an easy thing to maintain.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 08:43 PM   #3
Mavvy
Algae Grower

Thanks! I'll try to get the pics to show in the text field area.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:32 PM   #4
Mavvy
Algae Grower

Default Further along..

Hmmm. Looks like I'm just gonna have to become a contributing member come next payday-it's the only way I can figure to post pics so that they show to all. Cheap enough, though.

I forgot to add before that I actually did a mini-CO2 setup on the 2.5 gallon tank. Used a one-liter soda bottle, half a cup of sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of Fleischmann's, and a pinch of baking soda-mixed the dry stuff-added warm (about 135 degrees) water to just the middle of the curve at the top of the bottle (leaving about an inch and a half of space between the liquid and the silicone tubing I sealed into the cap), and ran it directly into the venturi intake of the Rio. Comes out leetle eetsy-beetsy bubbles about every two seconds (most of which seem to dissipate into the water before they get to the surface), and lasts about three weeks before recharging. I add slightly less than a half-capful of Flourish once a week. Ph levels are normal, and while I don't have a CO2 tester, the plants (and Bubba) seem to be doing very well . It's probably overkill, but, it's done, and it was fun in the doin'. If I did it on the hex, I'll probably run the line into the HOB's intake if I can figure a way to get a little airstone in there without screwing up the flow too much.

Incidentally-I'm here to learn from the people that have 'been there, done that', so education, and constructive criticism, are welcomed. TIA.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:50 PM   #5
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak

go to snapfish.com and upload your pictures from there, then you can take the properties of the pic off snapfish, paste it here and put [img] in the front of it and [/img] at the end of the properties.....its free and thats what I do
pufferfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 02:10 AM   #6
Mavvy
Algae Grower

Thanx, p/f!~
Old 09-13-2004, 01:33 PM   #7
Mavvy
Algae Grower

Default Fishpix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavvy
Thanks! I'll try to get the pics to show in the text field area.
Well, heck. I tried to post the pix here, but they're showing way too big-so I put them on a separate site:

http://www.rcorrigan.com/fishpix.htm

The bottom tank is my ten-gallon...was my very first ever. Not very Amano-esque...but I like it and the plants and fishies seem content.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:39 PM   #8
Nemomom
Algae Grower

Mavvy, what kind of light fixture do you have on your 10g tank? It looks like it has little stands for it. One other thing. On that tank do you have a plastic covering with hinged door? Or is a bare top? thanks Nemomom
5g
-1 half black/red guppy
-1 green moscow guppy
55g just needs setting up

2 cats-Romeo and Matisse
1 2 1/2 yr old son
1 crazy husband
Nemomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 11:32 PM   #9
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak

Cool tanks! I like your 10, it looks like a coralife fixture. Am I right?
pufferfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 01:32 PM   #10
Mavvy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemomom
Mavvy, what kind of light fixture do you have on your 10g tank? It looks like it has little stands for it. One other thing. On that tank do you have a plastic covering with hinged door? Or is a bare top? thanks Nemomom
N/M and P/F: Yup, it's a Coralife 28-watt unit. A marine-tank acquaintance gave it to me on the cheap. (I had to buy the legs separate, though.) It's actually got a 50-50 bulb in it, which hasn't harmed anything (although I'll probably swap it out sooner or later for a straight 6500K or maybe a little higher). For now, with the DIY CO2, it's fine.

N/M: It's a hinged glass top (the hinge is plastic). Got it at Petsmart.

Next for that tank is an oak canopy. I just need to take the time. It'll have either fingerjoint or dovetail detailing-I haven't decided yet. Guess it depends on what tools I pull out of the shed, and if I can find my dovetailing jig for my router.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:57 AM   #11
Curare
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via MSN to Curare

Mavvy, that tank looks really nice, you're doing great!

But, just a quick one from an aquascaping POV.

all the river stones at the front tend to crowd the tank foreground, just a thought
Curare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 12:54 AM   #12
Mavvy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare
Mavvy, that tank looks really nice, you're doing great!

But, just a quick one from an aquascaping POV.

all the river stones at the front tend to crowd the tank foreground, just a thought
Thanks! (Which tank-the 10 or the 2.5?) I'm betting on the 10, and I took your advice-just rearranged them more...ummm...'realistically'.

I'm going to be completely revamping the 2.5 next weekend. I have another Redsea mini-filter coming in the mail-I'm going to pull the plants and the resident evil Betta and remove the UGF in the 'lil tank, and use not quite 2 1/2" of the Schultz aquatic soil for the replant. The Rio 90/UGF will be replaced by the HOB, which should allow me less turbulence and better CO2 dispersal. I found a little airstone (that I'll modify the intake of the HOB to accept) for better bubble 'breakup'.

I thinl this will give me not only better anchoring of the plants (I'm going to TRY some dwarf hailrgrass sprigs, along with what I already have), but will also keep the betta less battered-he doesn't much appreciate the (minimal) current from the Rio.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:02 PM   #13
Mavvy
Algae Grower

Okay...the 2.5 has been completely redone, with Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil, a small piece of driftwood, the Azoo Palm filter instead of the UGF/Rio 90 combo, same plants plus some dwarf hairgrass (first time around wasn't too successful, so this time I broke it apart into some very small sprigs and used tweezers to place them in the substrate), same ol' Bubba the evil resident Betta (who loves the new look and feel of his crib).
Oh, and I got hold of some glosso for a small patch in the 10-gallon tank. What a pain to plant. But, it's done, and now it's a waiting game to see if it grows out instead of up (though the lighting should be fine at almost 3 wpg, and the CO2 is working well).
Old 10-14-2004, 01:39 PM   #14
Mavvy
Algae Grower

Did I mention I HATE glosso?

Well...not really. But it's not worked out. So, I'm pulling it from the 10-gallon this weekend and trying some other low-growing/carpet-style plants for that little (4" x 7") patch, and I'm open for suggestions.

The 2.5, however, is another story. The hairgrass is spreading well, the other plants are doing great, and Bubba is king of the roost. I'll try to post updated pics over the weekend.