Rescaping My Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 11-11-2009, 06:38 AM   #1
polkovnik_rzevskiy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Rescaping My Tank

Hi all, I have been thinking lately about rescaping my tank. However, this time I want to do it right and before I venture down this pass want to ask some questions. So feel free to add suggestions as you see fit. I think I will do this project in the next 2-3 months, so lots of time to gather the info.

I currently have a planted discus tank and after all is said and done still want to have a planted discus tank. The reason for rescaping the current set up are as follows:

First and foremost my current substrate is not up to the challenge. I originally mixed large (1cm) and small (2-3mm) gravel together. Did not use any sand on my heating cables and did not use any other substrate additions.

I find now that my gravel gets dirty quickly and the dirt gets easily trapped in between the pebbles. Also, now I know that larger gravel is not good for plants. Finally, not sure if this is gravel or fish bioload but I find that my substrate becomes stagnant and has bubbles forming in it.

So, what should I want out for while tearing everything down and changing the gravel? Please share your experiences for do's and don'ts.

Also, what substrate should I go for? Eco Complete Florabase ect?
Do people use different substrates and what about using soil?

I will be using heating cables, so where would I get the right sand that would not break the bank and not alter the Ph? Also, I have seen people use a mesh for attaching cables and was wondering where they got the mesh from.

Think this should be a good start.
polkovnik_rzevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2009, 09:09 AM   #2
Asgard
Algae Grower

I believe that discus biotopes don't have too many plants, so a thick layer (all over the place) is not necessary.
I'd recommend sand (used in swimming-pool-filters), not a too thick layer. The substrate has to be touched regularly (either by fish (cory's) or by snails), so that it will receive oxygen, to prevent it from rotting. Dirt will stay 'on' the sand instead of sinking between gravel.
Something like this setup example is what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7DSD9yUA50
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
j-gens
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

that's a nice discus setup what kind of cories are in that tank anyone know?
Old 11-11-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
polkovnik_rzevskiy
Algae Grower

I like the thick planted tanks and my discus seem to like it too (some of my current plants grow extremely well). So I would like to keep that, just change the conditions so that it is easier to maintain and they are more favorable for growth.

Cheers,
Old 11-11-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
polkovnik_rzevskiy
Algae Grower

Here is one specific question (or two) which is better eco-complete or flourite and how much do I need for a 65G?

Also, would I run into problems with dirt getting trapped between the grains?
Old 11-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
Asgard
Algae Grower

I'm not familiar with either one of the products, so no advice on that.
I have only small tanks, with hill stream kind of setups and use gravel from 1-6mm, dirt get trapped between that, but my rhinogobies, mts and shrimp prevent it from settling too long so my substrate is always well aerated, and I regularly stir stings around and vacuum the gravel.
So if you choose a coarse kind of substrate dirt will get trapped between it, with sand dirt stays more on top, but even so fine substrate must be aerated too, to prevent rotting.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:31 PM   #7
polkovnik_rzevskiy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
I'm not familiar with either one of the products, so no advice on that.
I have only small tanks, with hill stream kind of setups and use gravel from 1-6mm, dirt get trapped between that, but my rhinogobies, mts and shrimp prevent it from settling too long so my substrate is always well aerated, and I regularly stir stings around and vacuum the gravel.
So if you choose a coarse kind of substrate dirt will get trapped between it, with sand dirt stays more on top, but even so fine substrate must be aerated too, to prevent rotting.
Are you using heating cables by any chance?
Old 11-12-2009, 05:28 AM   #8
Asgard
Algae Grower

Nope, no heating at all, sub-tropical setups
Old 11-12-2009, 07:02 AM   #9
polkovnik_rzevskiy
Algae Grower

What substraite is everyone using? Eco complete, flourite ada?