Building a Hood to Mount my Coralife Mini onto my 2.5g
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 11-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
kelly528
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Building a Hood to Mount my Coralife Mini onto my 2.5g

Hey there,

Just ruminating on how to build a hood for my 2.5g. I have an all-glass tank and managed to get my paws on a cheap Coralife Mini (2x9w).

I know a lot of people prefer to jerry-rig legs onto them, but I have a betta and keep to keep him inside the tank. I have seen the Perfecto acrylic lids that some people sit the light on top of, but I am worried about overheating the tank.

Has anyone devised a way to make a hood for such a setup? My initial plans involve copying the hood-part of my other tanks so that the light fixture can sit on top and I can have a little door for feeding Lou Reed his favorite snacks.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated and I will be sure to take lots of pictures if I figure something out so that anyone else with a similar problem can figure it out from my examples.

kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
Phoenix-cry
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I would think that a combination of an acrylic or glass (I think all-glass makes a glass top for that tank) with the legs would be the best solution. I agree about keeping the light up off the tank for heat reasons, and those betta do like to jump. I'd put a normal flat top on it and then add some legs.
Phoenix-cry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
kelly528
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix-cry View Post
I would think that a combination of an acrylic or glass (I think all-glass makes a glass top for that tank) with the legs would be the best solution. I agree about keeping the light up off the tank for heat reasons, and those betta do like to jump. I'd put a normal flat top on it and then add some legs.

How do you feed with that sort of setup? I have seen the acrylic lids you are talking about, but only in the U.S. (I'm north of the border). Maybe I could make my own door with a hinge, provided I found one that won't rust...

Old 11-10-2009, 01:26 AM   #4
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Many online aquarium suppliers stock hinges for glass tops. Some stock hinges for plastic tops too. Try Big Al's.
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:08 AM   #5
SearunSimpson
Wannabe Guru

Hey Kelly, welcom to TPT, from another lower-mainlander (check my little avitar/picture thingy to see where I'm from <---- ).
You could check Island Pets (formerly Big-Als), or on www.bcaquaria.com in the classifieds section (this site is good, as its BC, and mainly, the greater vancouver area based).

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
SearunSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:01 PM   #6
kelly528
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearunSimpson View Post
Hey Kelly, welcom to TPT, from another lower-mainlander (check my little avitar/picture thingy to see where I'm from <---- ).
You could check Island Pets (formerly Big-Als), or on www.bcaquaria.com in the classifieds section (this site is good, as its BC, and mainly, the greater vancouver area based).

Haha! I knew I recognised that name from BC aquaria! I actually got the light from the classifieds, but it seems that few companies make an actual canopy to fit 2.5gs... I'm in Maple Ridge so Island Pets is a bit far but who knows-- I need to check it out!

Old 11-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #7
JennaH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

sorry im no help with your hood, but i just had to comment when i saw your betta's name is lou reed- i have been trying to remember that name for like a week! haha i love it

"hey babe, take a walk on the wild side..."
JennaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:47 PM   #8
kelly528
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaH View Post
sorry im no help with your hood, but i just had to comment when i saw your betta's name is lou reed- i have been trying to remember that name for like a week! haha i love it

"hey babe, take a walk on the wild side..."
And he has a zebra-snail friend named Brian Cale. Glad someone around here can appreciate good music!

Tags
2.5 gallons, coralife, diy, hood, nano