hardscape input please
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 10-20-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
DBLSHOT
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

hardscape input please

Hi this is my first attempt at aquascaping and I could use some input with my (boring) design. what would make this tank pop? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Last edited by DBLSHOT; 10-21-2009 at 05:41 AM..
DBLSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 11:29 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Hi DBL, welcome to the Planted Tank.

I am not a grand Aquascaper myself, so I'll leave most of the details to others.

One thing I noticed over the years is that if the wood/roots/rocks are too small, they will get covered up by plants very quickly, and in a short time you won't know that they were there. That is if you use "regular" plants that grow large, it does not apply to some Iwagumi lawn.

I would perhaps lose the piece on the right, and play around with the larger one on the left, make it more visible, something like that. Difficult for me to give recommendations, it always comes down to personal preference (or all tanks would look alike).

Sometimes it helps to point out the size of the tank, and any other details you can think of, like your goals, what plants, etc.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:08 AM   #3
DBLSHOT
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

thanks for the input. This is a 20 gallon tall. I was planning on adding more substrate to the left side to create a second tier ledge with the large peice of driftwood and possibly adding another peice on the back left side behind the large piece.

The look I was trying to go for with the gap in the 2 peices of wood is like a little stream flowing towards the front of the tank but I'm not quite sure what it needs give it that depth.
DBLSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:32 AM   #4
DanLOman
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

i have a similar problem with my wooden hardscape. I have 2 flat pieces of driftwood like the one on the left. They quickly get covered by the plants. I am thinking of either stacking them on top or leaning on a rock. Either that or get manzanita wood or a bigger piece of driftwood.
DanLOman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:33 AM   #5
Philosophos
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Here's some thoughts/ideas at random in point form:

-It helps to slope the gravel downwards from back to front overall, even if you're adding terracing and such.

-I find straight peices of wood uninteresting personally. Curves, branches, knotts and so on will help.

-Rock is a nice addition; find ones with interesting faces or textures. Be sure that they're aquarium safe.

-You'll want to familiarize your self with some basics about color composition and the golden mean.

- Draw your tank before you put it together, even if you're bad at drawing. It helps to visualize.

- If you have any fine ground cover going in, consider a dry start.

-Philosophos
Philosophos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:36 AM   #6
Tex Gal
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal

Maybe you could kinda pile the right piece of driftwood up on the left one. Kinda going up at an angle?.. I do like your wood. You could also get some cheap round river rock and stick it under your wood to elevate it some. Push it under your wood into the substrate so that it doesn't' show. That way your wood will have a bigger profile. You could also do a terracing affect with the wood holding back the soil.

Just make sure you use very low plants in the front. Could be mosses, HC, Rotala mexicana... The plants will make all the difference in the world.

95g Rimless

Last edited by Tex Gal; 10-21-2009 at 06:28 PM..
Tex Gal is offline   Reply With Quote