rate my 75g
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 08-26-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
ejhart

PTrader: (0/0%)

rate my 75g

Well here she is, I seem to finally be getting everything under control. The growth rate is great and other than some bba on the leaves and glass everything seems to be going good. I'm also not too happy with the HC, it seems to have gotten much darker than when I first planted it, but what can you do at least it's growing and pearling. Please be honest I can take the criticism. Also any suggestions are more than welcome as my art skills are about as bad as it gets so my aquascaping skills suffer. On a side note I chopped down all the Valls that are along the back because I started dosing with excel after all else failed in my battle against the bba.

Click to enlarge.
ejhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #2
billb
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

Nice and healthy plants! I am not an expert, but right now all your plants are at the same height ( other than the HC). As it grows in you may be able to get more variation. In a similar vein, after the HC you definitely have a wall of plants. Some layering or an addition of a layer of medium height plants could create more depth.

Bill
billb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:05 PM   #3
liljmn
Algae Grower

PTrader: (12/100%)

You should let the plants go more to see how it looks like. I like the alternanthera reineckii in the middle, but I think you should add more color to the sides of the tank as well. Also some plants behind the driftwood would fill in space and add some depth. The tank does look healthy though.
liljmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
ejhart

Yeah that was my goal from the start but somehow I seem to have failed, just like I do at drawing stick figures. As I said in the post there's suppose to be tall valls all along the back but I had to cut them down because of the excel. They don't seem to be melting and should eventually grow back nice and tall, specially once I stop dosing with excel. All the stem plants right up front were suppose to be medium hight plants but they just exploded with growth and shot strait up. Guess it's time for another trimming. If anyone has any suggestions of some nice high light plants that won't get taller than say 6" I'm all ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljmn View Post
Also some plants behind the driftwood would fill in space and add some depth.
There's a Kleiner bar sword behind the driftwood, but for some reason it seems to just grow small leafs and lots of them. It's very thick but for some reason it's not growing big tall leaves like I was hoping for. I was thinking about moving some stuff around but the thought of pulling the swords out and having all the clay substrate come up from the bottom and mix with the sand put that on ice.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:24 PM   #5
yikesjason
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)

blyxa japonica makes a nice midground
It is too bad you have that tube right in the middle of your tank. Even painting it black would make it all but disappear against the background.
the plants do all look nice though.
yikesjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:42 PM   #6
GTR
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)

I like it as it is and it will look nicer when the foreground fills in. Even though my tank has stems to the top in the back I like the look of the open water.

As far the the Rena input tube, I don't know what they were thinking when they used that color. All the other parts included are near black. I used a piece of drip irrigation tubing and slipped it over the main tube. Zip tied at the bottom where I can't see it.

SteveU
GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:33 PM   #7
kali
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

• a 10 on my list

VICTOR PIMP #45: HPT270B-250
kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:17 AM   #8
ejhart

Thank you for the comments everyone. Btw does anyone know what would cause my HC (dwarf baby tears) to turn dark green from the light (bright) green it was when I first planted it about 2 weeks ago? I thought it was low phosphates but when I did a test it was reading almost 2ppm.