Building a sump??
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 07-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
Shadowcat3
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Building a sump??

I'd like to try building my own sump for a new tank setup, but I'm a little fuzzy on the details. I get the part about sizing the outflow pipe to match, more or less, the pump flow rate, but how do you actually control and balance it?? On the one hand you essentially have an open pipe siphoning water into an open box, the sump, where your filter material is located and then your pump pushes water back up into the tank. Obviuosly the flow rates have to be balanced or the thing won't work. That's the part I don't understand. Since the siphon and pump aren't connected, they're working independently. How do you get the siphon rate to match the pump rate?? What happens as the media begins to load up and your return rate from the pump to the tank drops? The siphon isn't connected to the pump, so the siphon rate isn't going to self adjust to match the lower pump flow, is it??? It sounds very simple to set up and I know thousands of people use them, but I don't see how you get the thing to balance input to output flow?!
Shadowcat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
jjp2
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2

The flow back to the tank must be less then your flow down to the sump. Your water level should be set so that when the sump is full (the max you want it to at), the water should not be at the overflow level in the tank. This prevents the sump from overflowing. When the sump pumps water up, the sump level drops, the tank level raises and your flow down to the sump starts again.

Ideally, the flow up and down should be similar.
jjp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
Shadowcat3
Algae Grower

How do you know what size to make the overflow pipe?? I'm sure there's a thread someplace, probably several of them on this subject. I'd really like to try this to give me more media capacity and flexability, plus keep the hardware out of the tank...It's a 40 breeder, so it won't take much stuff in-tank to detract from things appearance wise.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
Avi
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sumps are much more often used in saltwater setups so that's where there's a huge wealth of information. The first place to start with which may help with a lot of questions (and of course, you'd have to accomodate this to a freshwater application) is in three parts:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-01/gt/index.php
Avi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
Shadowcat3
Algae Grower

Thanks Avi. I'm going there now. The whole thing looks so simple and I love the idea of getting stuff out of the tank, increasing the water volume and media capacity. I just need to figure out the fine print....the devil is always in the details!! LOL
Old 07-27-2009, 04:16 PM   #6
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Iíve thought about how to answer your question and really canít. Mine is a bottom drilled tank with weir boxes. The weirs only allow the water to drain from the tank down about 1Ē. My pump volume runs behind the tank drains so the pump doesnít run the sump dry. There are several calculators on SW sites but not sure that will get you there either.
My sump build string.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...e-filters.html

http://reefcentral.com/
Left side of the homepage lists the calculators.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:49 AM   #7
causedabigpoop
Algae Grower

Use ball valves on your inlet side of the sump. You can control the amount of water entering your sump. I have a 2" inlet to the sump and a 500gph pump on the outlet side. It has 3/4 pipe out of the pump and I allso put a ball valve on it as well. One thing to make sure is if you loose power where is all the water going to go? You will have back siphon when it happens. In my sump I have a 3/4 bulkhead tee above the normal water line of the sump draining outside. Or you can use what the salties use is a overflow box.
causedabigpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:06 AM   #8
kid creole
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

A sump without a pre-drilled tank is not for the faint of heart!