how often do you dose k?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 09-15-2004, 07:10 AM   #1
dogg76
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

how often do you dose k?

how often do u dose k? i need some general idea on how often to dose it...i dose 3-4 ppm kno3 about every 3 days. would that be enough k or should i dose kcl too?

Filstar Pimp#83
dogg76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2004, 09:55 PM   #2
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Since I have found I do not have to dose KNO3 as regularly as I did, I needed to start dosing potassium again since I am not getting much through the KNO3. I dose once a week after my water change.

Mike
Old 09-16-2004, 05:16 PM   #3
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

about 45% of KNO3 is K. so dosing 4ppm KNO3 gets you roughly 2ppm of K. recommended lvls of K should be 10-20ppm.
I think you should dose some extra K separately.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2004, 05:33 PM   #4
rayhwong
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to rayhwong

I use an eyeball method as when to dose. I dose KCl in addition to KNO3. Lately, my fish produce enough wastes to keep the NO3 up so I cant use KNO3 as my source of K. I held off and my plant growth stalled. I made sure all the traces and iron are at good levels. But the NO3 levels kept rising. Next, I dose 5ppm of KCl and sure enought the plants are pearling and NO3 is being depleted again. This suggests K was the limiting factor for my plant growth. Im experimenting with dosing 1-2ppm per day.

Other than that case, I would just dose durign a water change. Thats the best bet. If you do water changes frequently enough you should get enough K from the new water dosed with K. Dose your new water to around 15ppm and keep the nitrates around 12ppm. The tap where I live has zero K and little Mg. I add Mg as well.
Hope this helps.
rayhwong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2004, 07:36 AM   #5
dogg76
Planted Tank Obsessed

ok, thanks every1 for the replies....i have the morton salt substitute to use for k, it was talked about in another thread but im still not sure how much to dose. i know about chucks calculator but i would like to dry dose this, not mix it with water. any1 have any ideas like how much k would 1 tablespoon add to my 55? i really need an answer on this please......

Filstar Pimp#83
Old 09-17-2004, 02:47 PM   #6
Laith
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Is Morton salt substitute KCl? If so, on Chuck's calculator you choose KCl and then the option "add dry compound directly to tank".

For example, 1 tsp added directly to 55g of water will raise K by 15.12ppm.

By the way, I wouldn't input 55g but closer to your real volume of water. I use 85% of the rated volume to take into account substrate, plants and fish, etc.
Laith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2004, 03:28 PM   #7
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

what laith is talking about is downloading chuck's calculator, which has a 'dry dose' option.
otherwise you can use the online one, and put 1mL for the amount of water to mix with, and solution to add...which will get you to the same point.

I'd download chuck's calculator tho. it's awful handy.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2004, 06:22 PM   #8
dogg76
Planted Tank Obsessed

ok, thanks guys, i sure do appreciate the help....

Filstar Pimp#83

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.