So I Bought some N-P-K. Now what?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 09-17-2004, 06:50 AM   #1
nycxaro
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

So I Bought some N-P-K. Now what?

I just bought some flourish brand NPK ferts and flourish comprehensive plant supplement. I know that my tank needs K after every water change. I have the targeted amount of phosphates which is .5 ppm(tested by my seachem phospate kit). One problem I have is my nitrates read 0ppm. I believe it needs to be at 5ppm or so. How do I raise it? Do I use the flourish nitrogen and count on my filter to turn into nitrates? If not, then what do I use the nitrogen for? THanks for taking a look at my newbie question. =]
nycxaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2004, 12:13 PM   #2
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Flourish N is I believe is 1-half a safe ammonium compound and 1-half nitrate. Plants will take nitrogen in other forms then nitrate (Sea Chem says ammonia is more readily utilized). Therefore, you would dose half the nitrate that you would normally dose with KNO3. The instructions should be on the bottle anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.