Saltwater Tank Questions - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 08-17-2004, 09:33 PM   #16
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

It definitely does take quite a bit more attention than a freshwater tank (especially in smaller tanks where evaporation can plague havoc on the salinity levels if left to go unchecked).

If you're serious about the hobby, then definitely invest in an RO system, but it really depends on your budget and so on. Not only is the RO great for topping off the tank, but it can be used for other purposes also (drinking, cooking, etc.). Honestly though, for the 8+ years that I was into reefkeeping, I have yet had to use anything but water from the tap (not directly straight out of tap, but rather tap water that's aerated in separate buckets). I do plan to install such a system when I get my own place (being built as we speak), however.

As for placing mushrooms/zoanthids into the tank right after it has been set up, it's something that I wouldn't do. I would wait at least a couple of days until everything has cleared up a bit (aragonite can be dusty for the initial 24-hours that you place it into the tank, especially if you use sugar grade oolite). It's also a great time to make sure that there are no leaks, and everything is running efficiently. It is also dependent on the source where you're getting your initial stock from. There's a big difference from getting them as frags from other aquarist vs. transhipped specimens.

Before you do this however, make sure you read up on things. There's quite a few great books out there (articles/books written by Sprung & Delbeek, Fenner, Paletta, etc.), and definitely check out the reef forums since the hobby really evolves very quickly (make sure that they're reputable, e.g. reefs.org and nano-reefs.com are a couple to start out with).

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2004, 09:38 PM   #17
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

Whoops, forgot to answer a couple of questions from your post earlier .

Depending on which species you plan to go with, you can house 1-2 clowns in a tank of that size (pertains to the smaller varieties, such as true perculas).

The penguin biowheel isn't really the greatest option (strip the media out of it). I would just use it as a refugium if anything at most.

That's the other thing that I forgot to mention. The hobby requires quite a bit more money than a freshwater tank of the same size, so it's best to spend more money up front than go through the hassle of buying additional equipment later on.

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 06:15 AM   #18
XJBaylor
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

From what I have read you do not want to use an old freshwater tank for a saltwater tank. Any copper from medications, ferts, etc... will be deadly to you tank. If I am wrong, then you seem to be on the right track, if I am right, a new 10 gal. is only $10-15. Look into an auto top-off if you like to skip town over the weekend, especially if you go with 96 watts.

Keith
XJBaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 05:23 AM   #19
Silent Running
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I would recommend the books mentioned earlier, as well as others. Which book did you buy? The more you read now, and the more you know going in, the better your chance of success. Reef Central www.reefcentral.com is a great resource for more info as well...

Having said that, I would definitely recommend going with a protein skimmer - I think they're a great safety net, especially for a newcomer to saltwater. I personally feel that 2 clowns would be overcrowding a 10 gallon. Splurge on a 20 gallon if you'd like to get a pair (you'll also have better water parameter stability with the increased tank volume). Your fish will appreciate it. Definitely wait on adding mushrooms and other inverts right after setup. You want to make sure your tank is fully cycled before adding any livestock (outside of the liverock and sand).

***I would strongly urge you NOT to cycle your tank with damsels or other "cheap" fish. A perfectly good cycle can be accomplished without the unnecessary stressing of ANY fish.

HTH
Silent Running is offline   Reply With Quote