Reef Tank Conversion - Concerns and Questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-13-2004, 04:15 AM   #1
Silent Running
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Reef Tank Conversion - Concerns and Questions

Hi everyone,

Iím very seriously considering converting my 100 gallon acrylic (60L x 18W x 20H) tank from a full blown reef tank to a planted tank. Iíve had aquariums (both fresh and salt) from the time I was a kid (many years ago ), so Iíve got the basics down. Iíve got several initial questions about making the move.

I think one of the most important things to consider when making this switch is my reasoning behind it, so please bare with me. Please let me know if my thinking is on target or mis-guided. Iím making the switch because: a) Iím tired of ďchasingĒ a reef tank and all of the expensive equipment and livestock required to keep it in optimal condition; b) Iíd like a tank that is lower maintenance (please tell me if Iíve lost my marbles here); c) lower cost of setup, operation and components; d) The sheer beauty of a planted tank is stunning Ė I know this part sounds shallow, but my tank is in my living room and I really need to make sure that if I make the switch, Iím able to setup something that will easily compare with the beauty of my reef tank and that it would be something that Iíd be able to pull off. Thatís my reasoning in a nutshell I suppose.

Hereís what Iím considering for setup:

Filtration: Eheim 2028 canister filter.

CO2 tank (from calcium reactor) feeding a CO2 reactor

Lighting: Iíll be scaling back the lighting (from 500 watts MH and 280 watts VHO actinic) to 3 or 4 48Ē (110 watt) VHO tubes (or possibly using NO GE Daylight Ultra driven by an IceCap 660).

Substrate: 2 Ė 3Ē Flourite substrate with layer of sand on top.

How do you address chloramine and other possible tap water chemistry issues when using a python for water changes?

What options are available for automating the fertilization process?

Sorry for the long post and multiple questions, I just want to make sure I know what Iím getting myself into before making the leap. Iím sure Iíll be back with more questions as well

Thanks!!!
Silent Running is offline   Reply With Quote