waterfalls and streams
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 05-01-2004, 12:12 PM   #1
Louis
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to Louis

hi. i want to build a vivarium in a 36 inch long 24inch high and 18inch deep tank with a small waterfall in one corner running into a shallow pool or stream. unfortunately i have no idea how to do this and was wondering if anybody could tell me what materials i will need and how to make it? i have made successfull vis before but never with a water feature. any help would be appreciated. thanks
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2004, 09:03 PM   #2
^iMp^
Planted Tank Obsessed

I did this with acrylic, but if I had to do it again I'd probably use styrofoam. Simply carve out your stream and pool and glue rocks to it to give it a natural look. One word of advice: make everything larger/deeper than your estimates. After you add rocks and other features, you might not have enough room left for the water!

Also, make sure your soil/land area has good drainage and a method for draining/pumping out any water that seeps in. At one point, I had to pump water out of the land portion of my tank every day due to seepage from the moss growing in the waterfall area.

Do you have any more ideas/specifications? I'm not sure I fully understand what you are trying to do. For instance, do you have any plans/diagrams? Otherwise, you might find the guides at www.blackjungle.com useful. Good luck!

^iMp^
^iMp^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 11:09 PM   #3
Kris
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i used eggcrate. styrofoam makes me nervous. i like the eggcrate, my trouble is keeping everything from sliding. which styrofoam would prevent.
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 10:25 PM   #4
Wheat
Algae Grower

Or you can check fish stores for some kind of african root wood. It seems to be pretty common. You can find some really cool pieces that are naturally carved out like a stream. I found a piece that branches into two streams. It worked out great and java moss grows good on it.
Wheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 08:54 AM   #5
MDKyleZ

I've thought of the styrofoam idea several times for a river tank, but have some questions about it. This idea would answer all of my aqua/landscapping problems.

Dose styrofoam leach any chemicals into your water????
Is it fish and Herp safe????

If not safe, is there some thing that you could coat it with to make it safe????

Thanks,
Kyle
MDKyleZ is offline   Reply With Quote